Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (a) Write down the exact value of cos π6. (1)

The finite region R is bounded by the curve y = cos2 x, where x is measured in radians,the positive coordinate axes and the line x = π3.

(b) Use the trapezium rule with three equally-spaced ordinates to estimate the areaof R, giving your answer to 3 significant figures. (5)

The finite region S is bounded by the curve y = sin2 x, where x is measured in radians,the positive coordinate axes and the line x = π3.

(c) Using your answer to part (b), find an estimate for the area of S. (3)

Can someone explain how to work out 5b and 5c step by step.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greentron6)
    (a) Write down the exact value of cos π6. (1)

The finite region R is bounded by the curve y = cos2 x, where x is measured in radians,the positive coordinate axes and the line x = π3.

(b) Use the trapezium rule with three equally-spaced ordinates to estimate the areaof R, giving your answer to 3 significant figures. (5)

The finite region S is bounded by the curve y = sin2 x, where x is measured in radians,the positive coordinate axes and the line x = π3.

(c) Using your answer to part (b), find an estimate for the area of S. (3)

Can someone explain how to work out 5b and 5c step by step.

Thanks in advance!
    What did you try?
    This seems to be a fairly standard question using the Trapezium rule, you'll find a formula in your booklet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    What did you try?
    This seems to be a fairly standard question using the Trapezium rule, you'll find a formula in your booklet.
    Hi again. My online Maths tutor!

I couldnt even attempt it, because i didn't know how to apply the width of the trapezium.

How would you solve b and c?

ReputationRep:
    Hi again. My online Maths tutor!

I couldnt even attempt it, because i didn't know how to apply the width of the trapezium.

How would you solve b and c?
    Well based on what I'm guessing you meant from what you wrote, you want to approximate \displaystyle\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{  3}} \cos^2(x) \ dx, with three ordinates.
    It specifies that these should also be equally spaced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Well based on what I'm guessing you meant from what you wrote, you want to approximate \displaystyle\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{  3}} \cos^2(x) \ dx, with three ordinates.
    It specifies that these should also be equally spaced.
    Yes, also will you intergrate sin2x in c?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, also will you intergrate sin2x in c?
    There's no need to, you can use a well known trig identity and use the previous result.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

While you're hear, can you also explain to be b and c?

Amy plans to join a savings scheme in which she will pay in £500 at the start ofeach year.One scheme that she is considering pays 6% interest on the amount in the accountat the end of each year.
    For this scheme,(a) find the amount of interest paid into the account at the end of the second year, (3)

(b) show that after interest is paid at the end of the eighth year, the amount in theaccount will be £5246 to the nearest pound. (4)

Another scheme that she is considering pays 0.5% interest on the amount in theaccount at the end of each month.
    (c) Find, to the nearest pound, how much more or less will be in the account atthe end of the eighth year under this scheme.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

While you're hear, can you also explain to be b and c?

Amy plans to join a savings scheme in which she will pay in £500 at the start ofeach year.One scheme that she is considering pays 6% interest on the amount in the accountat the end of each year.
    For this scheme,(a) find the amount of interest paid into the account at the end of the second year, (3)

(b) show that after interest is paid at the end of the eighth year, the amount in theaccount will be £5246 to the nearest pound. (4)

Another scheme that she is considering pays 0.5% interest on the amount in theaccount at the end of each month.
    (c) Find, to the nearest pound, how much more or less will be in the account atthe end of the eighth year under this scheme.
    For b) I'd recommend writing down the amount of money at the end of the first couple of years - see if you can spot a pattern.

For c) Consider how the monthly interest affects a fixed sum after a whole year, and follow a similar line of argument to b).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks once again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.