The Student Room Group

Is it too late to start revision for my GCSEs?

I've done bits here and there, any tips for revision in general?
Reply 1
God no!! You are not too late!! I would suggest starting now though rather than leaving it any longer. My best tips are to get revision guides, particularly for subjects with a lot of facts like history or geography and/or using the 'scribble method' (ie reading a section of your textbook at a time then writing down everything you remember from that section. then go back and add in any important bits you missed out) hope this was helpful! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Bondioz
I've done bits here and there, any tips for revision in general?

Nooooooo! GCSE's are the easiest to revise for. Just do your revision and do all the available past papers. It's important you also look at the mark scheme and see where you're losing marks. This way you will start shaping your answers to match it. All the best! :smile:

Also, CGP guides are your bestfriend.
Reply 3
Original post by duv
Nooooooo! GCSE's are the easiest to revise for. Just do your revision and do all the available past papers. It's important you also look at the mark scheme and see where you're losing marks. This way you will start shaping your answers to match it. All the best! :smile:

Also, CGP guides are your bestfriend.

Thanks! I agree that they are easy, it's the fact that there are so many of them that makes it difficult. Did you structure your revision at all?
Reply 4
Original post by Bondioz
Thanks! I agree that they are easy, it's the fact that there are so many of them that makes it difficult. Did you structure your revision at all?

I focused mainly on the subjects I knew I wanted to carry on with. Prioritise those first. Don't neglect the rest ofc, just spilt it all up into tasks. I think making a to-do list everyday helps more than making a weekly time schedule that you'll find difficult to stick to. Just make a list of sections to revise per day and then do them. You'll get there in no time.
DEFINITELY NOT!!!!

Just prioritise the subjects you struggle with and spend time on it
TOP TIP start with last year's stuff unless you do modules
Revision tips
Find out what learner you are e.g. visual
Bright notes using highlighters/markers
Mindmaps
REVISION guides become your best friend
Key point lists for subjects such as History and other factual subjects

Also most people are only starting now about a month before in order to remember
PLEASE do not listen to people who say they are well into revision, some are but definitely not all.
Reply 6
At any given time you can only make the best choices available to you then. Regrettably we cannot re-make earlier decisions. If you start revising now you are likely to be better placed to do well than if you started tomorrow, though tomorrow would be preferable to Sunday....

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 7
Not too late at all.

I agree - CGP books are great at GCSE if you can stand the naff jokes.

Remember to do as many practise questions as possible, particularly exam papers!

Don't stress :-) Remember to take breaks every hour or so and go over old material before you start forgetting it.

If you don't have a revision timetable I'd set one up. Make sure you don't put too much content on one day, though. Timetables always seemed like a naff idea to me at GCSE but I found it really helped me to stay on track and stopped me panicking about how much I had left.

If you're doing subjects where you have to learn things like processes, diagrams, formulae etc. I recommend drawing/writing them out and placing them around your room. This helped me with things like maths formulae and biological processes like the nitrogen cycle.

Good luck! :3
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest