Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing some revision the past month for my GCSEs and it feels like nothing is sticking!

I revised for my mocks (which were late jan) and everything worked so well, i felt confident and it all worked out, but this time round (which is what matters! ) i've tried to follow the same path but nothing seems to stick!

My memory used to be amazing but after mocks it seems non-existent! :argh:

I wondered if anyone has any tips/advice or can relate?

i agree with you tbh

i revised lots for my mocks and i got good grades but now i just cba and when I do nothing goes in its just like 'meh'

tfw unmotivated af, can't remember anything

fail gcses af

ReputationRep:
    Ok, pink.lemonade. Great name, BTW. Here are some techniques that worked for me!
    The 60:10 technique: 60 minutes work, 10 minutes rest. Set a timer, and stick to that rule!! If you stop working and, say, check your email for even a minute in working time, start your 60 minutes over. It dosn't have to be 60:10, do whatever works for you.
    LSCWC: Look, say, cover, write, check. Although mostly used in spelling, this can work for simple revision too. Read, say a sentance or small paragraph and follow the instrucutions, though you can put it into your own words, of course.
    Revison notes: stick these revision notes around your house, especially facts you struggle with! It's a cliche, but it helps for some.
    Feed you inner hunger monster: don't gorge,of course, but make yourself a glass of milk and a cheese sandwhich so you don't get hungry and distracted.
    Read stuff in funny accents: It could work! Get it into your head.
    Don't turn into a zombie: Do stuff you enjoy, too.
    Practise papers: practise makes perfect!
    The right environment: a desk, with a normal wooden chair and revison books. NO TV. NO PHONES. NO LAPTOPS (unless needed).
    Good Luck, that's all i've got!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egirl127)
    Ok, pink.lemonade. Great name, BTW. Here are some techniques that worked for me!
    The 60:10 technique: 60 minutes work, 10 minutes rest. Set a timer, and stick to that rule!! If you stop working and, say, check your email for even a minute in working time, start your 60 minutes over. It dosn't have to be 60:10, do whatever works for you.
    LSCWC: Look, say, cover, write, check. Although mostly used in spelling, this can work for simple revision too. Read, say a sentance or small paragraph and follow the instrucutions, though you can put it into your own words, of course.
    Revison notes: stick these revision notes around your house, especially facts you struggle with! It's a cliche, but it helps for some.
    Feed you inner hunger monster: don't gorge,of course, but make yourself a glass of milk and a cheese sandwhich so you don't get hungry and distracted.
    Read stuff in funny accents: It could work! Get it into your head.
    Don't turn into a zombie: Do stuff you enjoy, too.
    Practise papers: practise makes perfect!
    The right environment: a desk, with a normal wooden chair and revison books. NO TV. NO PHONES. NO LAPTOPS (unless needed).
    Good Luck, that's all i've got!!
    Even though this isn't my thread. I was having the same problem and you helped me.
    Thank You

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink.lemonade)
    I've been doing some revision the past month for my GCSEs and it feels like nothing is sticking!

I revised for my mocks (which were late jan) and everything worked so well, i felt confident and it all worked out, but this time round (which is what matters! ) i've tried to follow the same path but nothing seems to stick!

My memory used to be amazing but after mocks it seems non-existent! :argh:

I wondered if anyone has any tips/advice or can relate?
    Take regular breaks, so that your brain can retain the information. Make a revision checklist highlighting everything you think you need to revise. Make flashcards. Then go through them thoroughly. Thats what I do but I do have the same problem as you sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Use some super glue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EastGuava)
    Use some super glue
    haha - hopefully that will work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Alisha*)
    Take regular breaks, so that your brain can retain the information. Make a revision checklist highlighting everything you think you need to revise. Make flashcards. Then go through them thoroughly. Thats what I do but I do have the same problem as you sometimes.
    thanks for your tips!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What did you get for your mocks?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Maybe you can remember it subconsciously, try doing a past paper in exam conditions, see how that works out. If it doesn't try using flashcards (although I can't say how effective they are as I've never used them) and stick to a revision timetable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink.lemonade)
    thanks for your tips!
    Its ok, just keep testing yourself regularly for each subject to see if you actually remember stuff. Actually remembering something is not actually a good idea. What ive noticed is that if you understand something really well you remember stuff much better. I think you should watch videos on youtube which is what I do because I have a VERY useless physics teacher so I use look at videos online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    What did you get for your mocks?
    mainly As with a few A*s x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    Maybe you can remember it subconsciously, try doing a past paper in exam conditions, see how that works out. If it doesn't try using flashcards (although I can't say how effective they are as I've never used them) and stick to a revision timetable.
    thanks for your tips! part of me thinks I remember it subconsciously but don't think it's the best method to rely on 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Alisha*)
    Its ok, just keep testing yourself regularly for each subject to see if you actually remember stuff. Actually remembering something is not actually a good idea. What ive noticed is that if you understand something really well you remember stuff much better. I think you should watch videos on youtube which is what I do because I have a VERY useless physics teacher so I use look at videos online.
    agreed! i think watching youtube videos is one of my best methods of revision!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.