The Student Room Group

A2 Philosophy and Ethics unit 4 Implications

Hi,

How are people revising this unit? (philosophers Ayer, Donovan and Westphal).

Also, how are people making connections with other philosophers with the essay paragraph provided?

EXAM BOARD- Edexcel
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
I have a blog called 'emilydoesalevelrevision' which some unit 4 essays and resources- i should be uploading more model essays soon the link is below- x
http://emilydoesalevelrevision.blogspot.co.uk/
Reply 3
Original post by ellie0497
Hi,

How are people revising this unit? (philosophers Ayer, Donovan and Westphal).

Also, how are people making connections with other philosophers with the essay paragraph provided?

EXAM BOARD- Edexcel

I've only just seen this, I was searching for a thread in this exam! Are you still wondering about how to make connections?
Reply 4
Original post by TMC113
I've only just seen this, I was searching for a thread in this exam! Are you still wondering about how to make connections?

Yes please!!!
Reply 5
Yes please!!!

Any of the articles in particular? Obviously links with Ayer and religious language, along with the AS arguments (he talks about deciding regularity means that God exists- this is linked to both teleological and cosmological.) Donovan- religious experience mainly....

Do you have any passages in mind? I don't want to blabb on about stuff you know already!

Also, I think I saw you on the AQA Psychology thread… am I right?
Reply 6
Original post by TMC113
Any of the articles in particular? Obviously links with Ayer and religious language, along with the AS arguments (he talks about deciding regularity means that God exists- this is linked to both teleological and cosmological.) Donovan- religious experience mainly....

Do you have any passages in mind? I don't want to blabb on about stuff you know already!

Also, I think I saw you on the AQA Psychology thread… am I right?

The conclusion paragraph for Ayer for instance. How would I go about with the 30 marker?

My teacher marked out the possible paragraphs for Donovan and Westphal (though Donovan is unlikely to come up).

Yes you have, do you do psychology too?
Reply 7
The conclusion paragraph for Ayer for instance. How would I go about with the 30 marker?

My teacher marked out the possible paragraphs for Donovan and Westphal (though Donovan is unlikely to come up).

Yes you have, do you do psychology too?

I would link the conclusion with religious language arguments. I would also link it with intuition (the stuff in Donovan, such as H.P. Owen and Buber), intuition in morality (such as W.D. Ross) and as Ayer comments that morality(and everything) should be based on science... a link with Utilitarianism may be possible?

Oh right, do you think you could let me know what your teacher thinks is possible, mine is new to this specification so doesn't really know!

Yes, I do psychology- OCD, Media, Aggression, Gender and Bio Rhythms
Reply 8
Original post by TMC113
I would link the conclusion with religious language arguments. I would also link it with intuition (the stuff in Donovan, such as H.P. Owen and Buber), intuition in morality (such as W.D. Ross) and as Ayer comments that morality(and everything) should be based on science... a link with Utilitarianism may be possible?

Oh right, do you think you could let me know what your teacher thinks is possible, mine is new to this specification so doesn't really know!

Yes, I do psychology- OCD, Media, Aggression, Gender and Bio Rhythms

DONOVAN
The introduction from "we laugh about the person who says..... - ....any further reason or offer any additional arguments?"
The third section (feeling certain and being right)- the start of the paragraph to "....a feeling of certainty when we are right"
Also, the last paragraph of the third section.
The fourth section (knowledge about experience of)- "so 'mere factual knowledge' is by no means as unimportant......- ..... the philosopher would be more than content if even the former could be established for certain"
The last paragraph of section 4
WESTPHAL
The Commentary section of Hegal (the first part of the essay philosophical theology vs philosophy of religion)
Pre-Kantian philosophoical theology- the first paragraph.
the paragraph starting with "thus deist project is motivated by three powerful....." and the following paragraph.
Post-Kantian reconstructions of the deist project
The paragraph starting with "in the final three books of Religion..." and the following paragraph.
He said the whole part on Schleiermacher is very unlikely to come up because the senior examiners said that they wouldn't expect students to know about Hegal.
Hume and the hermeneutic of suspicion
The first three paragraphs are likely.

All the paragraphs of Ayer are possible since it is a short essay.

I do aggression too!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by kaytaylou
This exam is so hard!

HOORAY! Another person!

It is… especially with 47 as the A* boundary and 44 for an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kaytaylou
Dear god I haven't had any of my work marked yet my RS teacher for this side of the course is a shambles

What do you need help with? I teach the implications side (Ayer/Donovan/Westphal).
Reply 11
Original post by cogitoergo
What do you need help with? I teach the implications side (Ayer/Donovan/Westphal).

Would you be willing to have a look at some essays please?
Original post by TMC113
Would you be willing to have a look at some essays please?

Happy to have a read through them. Send via email please.
Reply 13
Original post by cogitoergo
Happy to have a read through them. Send via email please.

Thank you! What's your email?
Original post by TMC113
Thank you! What's your email?

send via email through this site.
Reply 15
The best thing about this paper is the fact it is marked very leniently since it is a hard area to study (graduate level).
Reply 16
The best thing about this paper is the fact it is marked very leniently since it is a hard area to study (graduate level).

Is it? Thank God… but THE GRADE BOUNDARIES
Reply 17
Original post by TMC113
Is it? Thank God… but THE GRADE BOUNDARIES

Most people do well on the unit 4 paper to be fair so the grade boundaries are high. The examiners wouldn't mark it harshly so it shouldn't be too difficult to get a decent grade. There is too much to remember though!
Reply 18
Hi, does anyone have any advice on how to do AO2 for Westphal passages? It seems difficult considering the lack of argument?

I'm trying to do one on the Post-Kantian section - "in the final three books..." and the next paragraph.

Thanks
Hi. I'm revising Westphal right now and I'm stuck on part B. Does anyone have any suggestions about why they agree/disagree with different aspects of the text and what the implications would be and why? Or know a good resource where I can have a look? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest