The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Sociology Unit 3 (Pre-release paper) 2016 (B763)

Hello,

I was looking for advice about what people had identified in the pre-release for this year but had found no threads about OCR sociology at all!

If anyone does OCR GCSE sociology, what have you found of interest in the pre-release? Also, what do we think the questions may be?

Josh

Scroll to see replies

Yes finally, I've been looking as well but have come up empty.
The case studies are both quite bad.
One gives no hypothesis
One gives no results
Both give not conclusions (or at least not full) 'My teacher said I did well'
Both fail to justify the significance of their secondary source.
There are plenty of ethical issues with the second (I'm sure you know filming someone in a park and uploading it isn't good). With the first i believe the questionnaire asks about drugs (and or alcohol) given the age of the sample this would be illegal and should notify authorities, I final issue with the first is- Why did he ask for their name in the first place? This causes lower validity as people are less truthful with their answers and are unlikely to trust the anonymous nature of the questionnaire.
I don't have the thing in front of me right now, but if you have any questions just DM me or something. Good luck on the 16th!
Original post by Steampunk_Turtle
One gives no hypothesis
One gives no results
There are plenty of ethical issues with the second (I'm sure you know filming someone in a park and uploading it isn't good). With the first i believe the questionnaire asks about drugs (and or alcohol) given the age of the sample this would be illegal and should notify authorities, I final issue with the first is- Why did he ask for their name in the first place? This causes lower validity as people are less truthful with their answers and are unlikely to trust the anonymous nature of the questionnaire.
I don't have the thing in front of me right now, but if you have any questions just DM me or something. Good luck on the 16th!

Do you have any tips/ links to revise for unit 1/ 2? please
Unit 2 is a bitch to revise but your notes and OCR GCSE Sociology yellow textbook are good. Research methods are pretty easy and 1b is fairly straightforward. Honestly if you look of the right resources for this website they are okay, but online the course it too new/ obscure for anything entirely useful. Make sure you know sociologist though and key concepts, I dont know what you are doing for unit 2 ( i'm doing family, youth and crime). Your notes should be detailed enough
Unit 2 is a bitch to revise but your notes and OCR GCSE Sociology yellow textbook are good. Research methods are pretty easy and 1b is fairly straightforward. Honestly if you look of the right resources for this website they are okay, but online the course it too new/ obscure for anything entirely useful. Make sure you know sociologist though and key concepts, I dont know what you are doing for unit 2 ( i'm doing family, youth and crime). Your notes should be detailed enough

Most of ocr sociology is a bitch to me :P
Is there more simplified notes because the yellow books have too much information that is not needed + they are really unorganised. :frown:

Hows your revision going? And thank you so much for the reply :biggrin:

Oh and im doing family, mass media and crime

(I had cover teachers for the past year and a half for sociology so my knowledge is really bad - i can only remember some of family/crime)
Original post by shohaib712
Oh and im doing family, mass media and crime

(I had cover teachers for the past year and a half for sociology so my knowledge is really bad - i can only remember some of family/crime)

Ah, sorry to hear that Sociology is a big subject and covers don't explain anything. I don't have any particular files to revise from
the resource on this site are pretty decent
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search-beta/?q=sociology

I found one powerpoint, my teacher didn't make it but it might be useful for the family,
But if you have any questions, i'd be happy to answer them, i'm pretty good at sociology i get between A*-B depending on the day
revision now
Ah, sorry to hear that Sociology is a big subject and covers don't explain anything. I don't have any particular files to revise from

I found one powerpoint, my teacher didn't make it but it might be useful for the family,
But if you have any questions, i'd be happy to answer them, i'm pretty good at sociology i get between A*-B depending on the day

Thank you so much! - im gonna start revision now!
- Is it good to make notes on every thing thats on the yellow book - should i use sticky notes to write condensed notes of the paragraph on them and then stick them over the paragraphs in the book?
- Should i make notes on everything thats in the book?
-I've noticed that the key concepts are typically over the entire book in random order - should i make a booklet entitled specifcally to key concepts?

Wow thats amazing!!! - I always generally mess up on the essays because i don't know how they're supposed to be structed.

You know the first 12 mark essay on unit 1 (about making a sociological research method?) can you make up a random method and sample that relates to the hyposes you're given in the question? + i've noticed that the mark scheme is always the same on that essay question) - sorry if its a bit confusing to understand

Is this a good resource?
https://getrevising.co.uk/resources/ocr_gcse_sociology_start_methodology_education_family_and_crime_and_deviance

YES very, covers everything. You'll need to flesh them out a bit with information but learning the keyconcepts is the best
revision now

Thank you so much! - im gonna start revision now!
- Is it good to make notes on every thing thats on the yellow book - should i use sticky notes to write condensed notes of the paragraph on them and then stick them over the paragraphs in the book?
- Should i make notes on everything thats in the book?
-I've noticed that the key concepts are typically over the entire book in random order - should i make a booklet entitled specifcally to key concepts?

Wow thats amazing!!! - I always generally mess up on the essays because i don't know how they're supposed to be structed.

You know the first 12 mark essay on unit 1 (about making a sociological research method?) can you make up a random method and sample that relates to the hyposes you're given in the question? + i've noticed that the mark scheme is always the same on that essay question) - sorry if its a bit confusing to understand

The book is a godsend. It has everything you need, make notes on every section (that important) but make sure to get key info, and sociologists and trends. But be aware not everything in the textbook is useful.
The key concepts are the main answers to the 24 mark essays, you can add other answers but you can always fall back to the key concepts, so yes know all of them (some are easier than others)

12 mark essays, yes 2 primary methods, with sample and sampling frame then one secondary method. As long as you can justify its use write anything. But make sure you say how it will address the hypothesis for each one by saying what info they collect (e.g Opinions or statistics)

24 mark essays
intro- define any keywords in the question

1 point for the statement 1 point against

Personal conclusion restate points
The book is a godsend. It has everything you need, make notes on every section (that important) but make sure to get key info, and sociologists and trends. But be aware not everything in the textbook is useful.
The key concepts are the main answers to the 24 mark essays, you can add other answers but you can always fall back to the key concepts, so yes know all of them (some are easier than others)

12 mark essays, yes 2 primary methods, with sample and sampling frame then one secondary method. As long as you can justify its use write anything. But make sure you say how it will address the hypothesis for each one by saying what info they collect (e.g Opinions or statistics)

24 mark essays
intro- define any keywords in the question

Personal conclusion restate points

Will do! - can i simplify the meaning of the concepts - cuz it would be dificult to remeber them word for word.

(+ give examples of questions/interviews you would use for the primary meathods, only if your doing quesionares/interviews - to get full marks) - I missed that out so i lost 3 marks on that question.

Is there a checklist or something that i can use to make usre i've revised everything?

I totally agree, research methods and basics part B are both really easy, you just need to know what the research methods are and you're fine! And yeah, I'm doing family, crime and work, the past papers and essay practise really helps, besides that just mindmaps! Thanks!
One gives no hypothesis
One gives no results

Thank you very much, that is just what I got! I can almost guarantee you that the 12 marker on unit 3 is going to be ethics, and we have done a mock in class about ethics, I am more than prepared for unit 3!!!!
Original post by jhuk510
Thank you very much, that is just what I got! I can almost guarantee you that the 12 marker on unit 3 is going to be ethics, and we have done a mock in class about ethics, I am more than prepared for unit 3!!!!

Although Ethics would be a nice question, it could be on something else like secondary sources used (there were so many) or something like primary method and sample- thats what my mock was about
Although Ethics would be a nice question, it could be on something else like secondary sources used (there were so many) or something like primary method and sample- thats what my mock was about

Hey I just finish now shoudl i start on the past papers or on another unit?
Oh and could you please explain how to structure the essays on the pre-release material exams please?
Thank you so much!
Dont look at unit 3 past papers, they change every year and are specific to the press release
The structure is a bunch of short mark questions about 1 (and research methods in general) +6marker
A bunch of short mark question about 2 wider knowledge + 6 marker
then 12 mark question referring to both.
So, exams in a couple of days, how is everyone feeling about it?
Original post by jhuk510
So, exams in a couple of days, how is everyone feeling about it?

stressed. :frown:
Please could you help me with unit 3?
stressed. :frown:
Please could you help me with unit 3?

Have you had a class mock on it based on what your teacher thinks it will be on?

For the essay, you basically just have to talk about (say the question was ethics) "the ethics of the investigation 2 were pretty dire, here's why" and then afterwards talk about how you'd improve it! I'll be more helpful in the morning but for now hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest