Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is there a biological basis for race and racial differences? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by operato)
    changes in the sequences of dna bases causes differences but genetics isn't the cause of all differences ¬_¬
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    All humans have different DNA. That is why forensic investigators can use it as evidence in a murder trial. However, this does not mean that humans are divided into races. The concept of race is only meaningful when the species can be ordered into different groups such that peopel with similar genetic material are placed in the same group. With humans the genetic differences between different ethnic groups are usually smaller than the genetic differences within the groups themselves. Thus grouping of humans according to genetic similarity is set to fail. You could for instance have a black and a white person much more similar in genetic material than two randomly chosen white persons.
    Of course we all have different dna, thats not the point I was trying to make. My point was that the US government performs a specific test (a racial test, if you will) to tell who is and who is not native american, so that said, if there in fact is no difference between races, how is this test explained? BTW I'm not agreeing with it either, I think blood quantum testing is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Of course we all have different dna, thats not the point I was trying to make. My point was that the US government performs a specific test (a racial test, if you will) to tell who is and who is not native american, so that said, if there in fact is no difference between races, how is this test explained? BTW I'm not agreeing with it either, I think blood quantum testing is ridiculous.
    different races have a specific allele for the their characteristics.

for example
    gene for the eye
    allele for the colour of the eye, blue, brown, etc

sometimes a combination of alleles makes up a certain characteristic...

but organisms from a specific geographical area would have different genetic make up (differences in alleles) than those of another area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    It only works as long as different ethnic groups do not mix to much (quite a poor aproximation in the US ). I didnt know they did these sorts of tests. If you ask me you should remove the need for people to sign or declare their race in any official documents. Ok, perhaps your passport could say your skin color or smth, but except for the cases where it is directly relevant the right to a privacy should cover your genetic material as well as the rest of you.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.