Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Procrastination is ruining my life, I always have been a hard working student, and the teachers do see this and have said to me that they have faith as well as my friends but right now Im really stuck. For some people it may be easy for them to say, shut up and log of the computer/ internet and just get on with the work but honestly I dont know what to do.

Im currently studying A2 and I remember from the beginning telling my friends that I kind' of have lost all motivation, I dont want to my work or revise although on the inside I REALLY want to get on with my revision or homework and get that A/B. I told my teaches and they advised me to a timetable, and in all honesty its not effective although a timetable was great during GCSE TIME. Im really upset and unhappy of how things are going. I have never procrastinated or left revision/ homework last minute as this much. I realised when I started A levels, it kinda made me feel like I was not clever any-more or that im not that student any more who was good in science e.t.c I dont know if there is anyone else having the same problem, but im sure there is. I have only 2 months left and I really dont know what to do. not only that but im just tired all the time- low vitamins in the body and often nap right after school. It May seem like im complaining but im really scared that I might fail in my real exams after failing in my mock so far. Its hard to explain to someone and make them understand how hard it is not knowing why your upset or not doing any work as your known for being the excellent student who always achieves hight grades. I have never ever felt like a failure before and it is taking its toll! can i actually overcome this procrastination in time for my exams - I mean im targeted B/A and I at least want one A and two B's.

I dont want to go on the end of yr trip as I feel i dont deserve to because Im failing so far. Is there anyone who has a success story of a similar fate and managed to turn it around in time for the exams. I seriously am concerned and Im scared regarding retakes. what do i do?

No rude or mean comments please. Respect each others posts thanks.:bawling::bawling:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say this is a success story as such, but I was in a similar position last year. I'm also an A2 student, struggling to revise like most others. But due to my complete lack of motivation last year, I am now retaking 4 exams, and it sucks.I knew before result day I have failed, so I seclude myself away from everything for a few hours and listed all the topics I knew I needed to work on for next year and organised interesting or fun ways to help that.

The situation is a little bit different, but I guess the advice I can offer you is remove yourself from everything for a few hours and work out what you need to do. I found this really helped as it clearly set out everything, as I too find timetables useless, and made it seem a whole lot easier and then everything kinda fell into place. And find new ways to revise, mindmaps, flash cards, recording yourself, teaching a friend or family member (I found this helps a lot!).

As cliche as it sounds, the only person stopping yourself is you. And speaking from experience, retakes are horrible, use that as motivation! I hope this helped a little bit

(Original post by l_christmas)
    I wouldn't say this is a success story as such, but I was in a similar position last year. I'm also an A2 student, struggling to revise like most others. But due to my complete lack of motivation last year, I am now retaking 4 exams, and it sucks.I knew before result day I have failed, so I seclude myself away from everything for a few hours and listed all the topics I knew I needed to work on for next year and organised interesting or fun ways to help that.

The situation is a little bit different, but I guess the advice I can offer you is remove yourself from everything for a few hours and work out what you need to do. I found this really helped as it clearly set out everything, as I too find timetables useless, and made it seem a whole lot easier and then everything kinda fell into place. And find new ways to revise, mindmaps, flash cards, recording yourself, teaching a friend or family member (I found this helps a lot!).

As cliche as it sounds, the only person stopping yourself is you. And speaking from experience, retakes are horrible, use that as motivation! I hope this helped a little bit
    Thank you. I understand the only person is me that is stopping myself from achieving those grades I want, I just hope to get into a good habit of revision in time for my exams- sorry about the retakes But I wish you the best of luck. Thank you for also understanding. If you dont mind me asking, what is motivating you right now in the position your in to carry on- for me I feel like it's going to be the end of the world although I know that's not the case.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, the best thing to do it to just get on with it. Stop over-thinking it, or thinking about how you're not motivated enough. It's what I'm doing now and it works better than any other method. Once you get on with it, you'll begin to feel a lot more motivated automatically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you. I understand the only person is me that is stopping myself from achieving those grades I want, I just hope to get into a good habit of revision in time for my exams- sorry about the retakes But I wish you the best of luck. Thank you for also understanding. If you dont mind me asking, what is motivating you right now in the position your in to carry on- for me I feel like it's going to be the end of the world although I know that's not the case.
    I think to get into a good habit of revision now is to try and do a little bit each day. Even if that's just reading a few pages of notes or making a few flashcards, it will feel like you're making progress and a step in the right direction. And try not to stress about it and take time out for yourself, I know this is easier said than done.

Motivating me now, well so many people have told me I can't make it and I like proving people wrong. But, I also want to prove to myself I can do it and that I will do it. Just like you know you can and you will. And its not the end of the world, it will be ok even if it may seem like it won't be. Thank you, and best of luck to you too, but it will be fine!

(Original post by l_christmas)
    I think to get into a good habit of revision now is to try and do a little bit each day. Even if that's just reading a few pages of notes or making a few flashcards, it will feel like you're making progress and a step in the right direction. And try not to stress about it and take time out for yourself, I know this is easier said than done.

Motivating me now, well so many people have told me I can't make it and I like proving people wrong. But, I also want to prove to myself I can do it and that I will do it. Just like you know you can and you will. And its not the end of the world, it will be ok even if it may seem like it won't be. Thank you, and best of luck to you too, but it will be fine!
    Aww thank you soo much- going to make me cry:cry2: But in all honesty- I was just thinking of starting of small such as reading and making notes and then adding to the list. Thanks and best of luck too:flower2:

(Original post by fire_and_ice)
    Honestly, the best thing to do it to just get on with it. Stop over-thinking it, or thinking about how you're not motivated enough. It's what I'm doing now and it works better than any other method. Once you get on with it, you'll begin to feel a lot more motivated automatically.
    Appreciate your reply- YES I WILL GET ON WITH IT- Trying to motivate myself. Thanks once again. I know its going to be a slow journey but I know I will get there.

ReputationRep:
    Aww thank you soo much- going to make me cry:cry2: But in all honesty- I was just thinking of starting of small such as reading and making notes and then adding to the list. Thanks and best of luck too:flower2:
    Please don't cry:laugh: Yeah, just doing something little each day will help immensely! I hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    I'm also in the similar boat in terms of the feeling of giving up and not feeling motivated but because I'm dong 3 retakes (2 biology and 1 psychology) I'm finding it hard to split my time because there's so much I need to do I don't actually know what to focus on.
    On top of that I'm a TV addict (deadly serious) I've cut back on how much TV I'm watching but its made no difference I still barely revise. I feel as though I don't know how to revise. Since junior school I have not revised for anything properly I did okay in my GCSE's (1 A, 8 B's and 2 C's) and all I did was cram the day before the exam and I know now that my methods won't work for a-levels (Proof is in my AS grades- BDDE). And because of this I genuinely don't know how to revise, and I've chosen courses that seem to have ALOT of content (Biology, Psychology and Sociology).
    Are there any revision tips I could try out? (Can't stick to timetable)

ReputationRep:
    You revise, you don't fail. You don't revise, you fail. choice is yours.

(Original post by HeimIX)
    You revise, you don't fail. You don't revise, you fail. choice is yours.
    True- appreciate your straight forward response- got me motivated. Good luck to you and others doing exams. :work:

(Original post by Unknown_2)
    I'm also in the similar boat in terms of the feeling of giving up and not feeling motivated but because I'm dong 3 retakes (2 biology and 1 psychology) I'm finding it hard to split my time because there's so much I need to do I don't actually know what to focus on.
    On top of that I'm a TV addict (deadly serious) I've cut back on how much TV I'm watching but its made no difference I still barely revise. I feel as though I don't know how to revise. Since junior school I have not revised for anything properly I did okay in my GCSE's (1 A, 8 B's and 2 C's) and all I did was cram the day before the exam and I know now that my methods won't work for a-levels (Proof is in my AS grades- BDDE). And because of this I genuinely don't know how to revise, and I've chosen courses that seem to have ALOT of content (Biology, Psychology and Sociology).
    Are there any revision tips I could try out? (Can't stick to timetable)
    Well recently I have tried reading and making new refined, short notes, and once I have familiarised myself with the notes- I try attempting exam questions. I would say start of with something simple- such as meeting a goal or deadline of doing 6-10 stuff or meeting revision / homework of 2-3 hours. Then slowly build up your list. Try watching Youtube videos- regarding your subject. Sometimes I would watch A- Khan academy bio video if I didn't understand photosynthesis. Try to find out what type of learner you are- do you like reading and looking at diagrams- that makes you a visual. Do you prefer to watch videos and listen to audio- Audio learner or prefer to make models- kinaesthetic. Google search more about the different types of learners. And if your finding it hard- try a bit of everything from note taking to building model. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. Good luck to you too.

ReputationRep:
    True- appreciate your straight forward response- got me motivated. Good luck to you and others doing exams. :work:
    Np

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.