The Student Room Group

QTS Maths and Literacy tests 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LaMadre
I don't think I did well at all and my ITT provider has put extra pressure by not allowing me to take my two additional attempts if I fail. What a shame! 😭

You might want to investigate that further as I don't think they can do that. A deadline for passing both, yes. A demand that you pass first time, no. As far as I'm aware, your provider only knows you've passed, not on what attempt.
Reply 21
Original post by JaneBaratheon
You might want to investigate that further as I don't think they can do that. A deadline for passing both, yes. A demand that you pass first time, no. As far as I'm aware, your provider only knows you've passed, not on what attempt.

Agree - all I had to do was show them the letter confirming I had passed. It does not show what attempt it was.
Reply 22
Hi all

I took both Numeracy and Literacy QTS tests yesterday and passed both first time. I found out 10 mins after each test, the result.

Good luck to anyone taking their tests soon too. I cannot stress the importance of revising for Numeracy (more so than Literacy). Use all the tools out there - get the books, practise the DfE tests and have a look into NR (Numeracy Ready) and GA Numerical - 2 very good websites with packages on, including multiple practice tests, solutions, videos etc. These websites helped me massively and I woudn't have passed without them.

Literacy - learn your spellings!! Take your time and read the comprehension.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks, Lucy
Hey Lucy, Did anything creep up with the numeracy that you didnt expect? or were they very similar to the GA NUMERICAL TESTS??I have been given various examples of questions e.g. ) A part-time teacher starts her day at 09:40 am. She has two 45 minute lesson followed by a 30 minute break and then finally a 25 minute assembly in which she is covering and supervising for an absent class tutor. How many hours does the teacher stay at the school for?A student achieved 20/40 marks in Test One and 22/30 in Test Two. If the total score is out of 70 marks, what is the combined score in the two tests, give your answer as a decimal.A teacher will contact a supplier for floor tiles required for her class. The surface area of the tiles is 7cm X 7cm. The classroom area needing to be tiled measures 8.4m X 8.4m. How many tiles will the teacher need to order to cover this amount of space?I had this too, I had a question that began with a teacher who needed to be at an event at 11:00 am . She had to travel 75 miles to get to the venue . If she was travelling at 45 mph what is the earliest she can set off, and it was multiple choice. did you have similiar type questions??? cheers and congrats!
Hi all,
Just some advice on those doing the tests as I passed both first time
Literacy- As has already been said up there just make sure your spelling is up to scratch and read everything carefully, the test is however quite straight forward
Numeracy - This was the one I was the most nervous about, and the one tip I can't stress enough is don't put in for your test until you can do all of the online practise tests on the professional skills tests website and get at least 65% in each as they are exact replicas of the layout of the tests. After completing all these online practise tests I found that the questions in the actual test were more simple. Also make sure you just jot down numbers in the mental arithmetic section don't spend anytime writing down or thinking about the wording as you only get 60 seconds or so to answer, I also recommend getting the "achieving qts" numeracy book by Mark Patmore as it gave lots of example questions

Good luck all!!
Hi,

I have my QTS tests booked in for the 31 May and the 4 June. Little bit nervous. I have signed up to the numeracy ready website and my results are currently:

Test 1 - 9/28
Test 2 - 13/28
Test 3 - 15/28
Test 4 - 20/28
Test 5 - 20/28
Test 6 - 19/28
Test 7 - 15/28

I am having the same difficulties each time; scatter graphs, conversions, FDP of amounts and FDP conversions. My test was originally on the 7th May but as my last test dropped to 15/28 I decided to wait and keep practicing.

Any advice?

For literacy I have now begun looking at the materials. I am using Steve's Learning as my go to. I have printed all the materials and I am slowly making my way through it. Planning on completing my first practice test on Sunday. It is the spelling that is bothering me! Again any advice?

I have an offer at Gloucestershire Uni. They want me to complete my QTS tests by the 31 July.

Thanks!
Reply 26
You might find my blog helpful for knowing what to expect! https://myteachingjourneyweb.wordpress.com/
Hi,
I have recently failed my literacy test by 1 mark and have got another one booked. I am panicking over the spelling session. Would you be able to send me the words you have. This might help.
Cheers
Reply 28
Original post by LydiaSellek
Hi,
I have recently failed my literacy test by 1 mark and have got another one booked. I am panicking over the spelling session. Would you be able to send me the words you have. This might help.
Cheers

Unfortunately I don't have a list of words, however there are some very good help documents of commonly misspelt words on the government website which is linked on my blog:smile: x
thanks
Reply 30
Original post by Faye2109
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1460361694.257332.jpg
Does anyone know if this is just a free attempt or an additional retake on top

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also had a technical problem during my literacy test that meant that I'd have to resit. May I ask what the specific problem with yours was?
Passed my literacy test today :smile: very happy! feel like it is a weight off my shoulders! Now I just need to complete the numeracy test. I am bit worried about this one as I am currently only just passing the numeracy ready tests and I failed (60%) the first government practice test.

Oh well!
Hello!

I have passed both tests and was wondering how to pass this information onto Northumbria Uni?

Thanks
Reply 33
Original post by LisaLouiseFox
Hello!

I have passed both tests and was wondering how to pass this information onto Northumbria Uni?

Thanks

If you've already applied and have a place, it's automatically sent to your choice of training provider. If not, I am not sure because they all have their own rules on how they want the results.
Reply 34
Hi Everyone.

May I ask, does anybody know the deadline for completing the skills tests if you have applied to Birmingham University or Newman University? Thank you in advance!
Reply 35
Their deadline date should have been included on the offer they made you via UCAS. I Found that I had to click on the course title and any additional information they didn't provide at interview, they put on the UCAS site- this includes completion dates for the tests and any other info they want you to be aware of.
Reply 36
Original post by LaMadre
Their deadline date should have been included on the offer they made you via UCAS. I Found that I had to click on the course title and any additional information they didn't provide at interview, they put on the UCAS site- this includes completion dates for the tests and any other info they want you to be aware of.

Great thank you for letting me know. :smile:
Hi, can you remember any spelling words when you took the QTS literacy test please? I am going to take mine in 2 weeks. Thanks

I took both Numeracy and Literacy QTS tests yesterday and passed both first time. I found out 10 mins after each test, the result.

Good luck to anyone taking their tests soon too. I cannot stress the importance of revising for Numeracy (more so than Literacy). Use all the tools out there - get the books, practise the DfE tests and have a look into NR (Numeracy Ready) and GA Numerical - 2 very good websites with packages on, including multiple practice tests, solutions, videos etc. These websites helped me massively and I woudn't have passed without them.

Literacy - learn your spellings!! Take your time and read the comprehension.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks, Lucy
so i sat my literacy test yesterday and FAILED by 5 marks, but i have rebooked that for next week tuesday. i also have my numeracy test coming up this tuesday!

also is anyone doing a schools direct programme.
Hi all, for the literacy spelling test, Is there a list to practice, are they normally repeated words from previous tests or new ones?

Quick Reply