The Student Room Group

QTS Maths and Literacy tests 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mayzhanglove
Hi, can you remember any spelling words when you took the QTS literacy test please? I am going to take mine in 2 weeks. Thanks

I took both Numeracy and Literacy QTS tests yesterday and passed both first time. I found out 10 mins after each test, the result.

Good luck to anyone taking their tests soon too. I cannot stress the importance of revising for Numeracy (more so than Literacy). Use all the tools out there - get the books, practise the DfE tests and have a look into NR (Numeracy Ready) and GA Numerical - 2 very good websites with packages on, including multiple practice tests, solutions, videos etc. These websites helped me massively and I woudn't have passed without them.

Literacy - learn your spellings!! Take your time and read the comprehension.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks, Lucy
Reply 41
Hi,
I jist wanted to know what spellings you got on ur qts skills test.
Thankss
Hey!

I'm taking my numeracy and literacy tomorrow although I have only been using the tests provided to practice... been getting average of 70% on those so hopefully will pass tomorrow!
Reply 43
Hi,

I was wodnering if you could give me hints/tips of the words that came up please.
Got both tests booked for 17th September - not concerned about the literary but super concerned about numeracy! Does anybody know the pass mark? Also, how long do you get per question for the mental arithmetic? :smile:
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Got both tests booked for 17th September - not concerned about the literary but super concerned about numeracy! Does anybody know the pass mark? Also, how long do you get per question for the mental arithmetic? :smile:

63%

18 second

practice there are many sites and youtube videos

http://www.qtsmathstest.com/qts-maths-test-practice/

Good luck
Original post by meme12
63%

18 second

practice there are many sites and youtube videos

http://www.qtsmathstest.com/qts-maths-test-practice/

Good luck

Does that 18 seconds include working out time? :frown:
oh ya everything if you practice you will be fine, but don't do the test if you are not ready you only have 3 chances.
Does the 18 seconds include working out time?
Reply 49

Hi, it's 18 seconds per a question once the question has been spoken. I would suggest before you start the test to write down your 7,8,and 9 tables down on paper and any other handy tips you need for the exam.

Good luck
I'm about to go into year 13, when do you reckon I should book the test and how much should I study before booking the tests?
Original post by zowa91
Hi, it's 18 seconds per a question once the question has been spoken. I would suggest before you start the test to write down your 7,8,and 9 tables down on paper and any other handy tips you need for the exam.

Good luck

Thank you very much :smile: Can you start your workings as soon as the question is spoken?
Reply 52
You get 55 seconds at the start, when the person has asked the question first time I would say you have around 30 seconds, do you need any help?, I can email you notes over of how to work things out quickly and good questions to practise. I took my test just a few days ago.

There are 4 very similar content and timed questions on here https://practice.skillstestbooking.com/phoenix/s/login/show.do?theme=sta&hostname=practice.skillstestbooking.com I used them. Very much like the real exam. Password on there is jhULiqgX and just create a username, if you can get 75% + on all 4 would say you are ready, you need 18/28 to pass.
Does your course provider know how many attempts it took you? :-)
Does your course provider know how many attempts it took you? :-)

No, the print out your receive will simply tell you that you have passed. It won't inform the provider of how many attempts it took you or how many marks you received.

It is still worth working extremely hard on your first attempt though as it will reduce any pressure you put on yourself, due to the three strike rule.
Original post by wildrover
No, the print out your receive will simply tell you that you have passed. It won't inform the provider of how many attempts it took you or how many marks you received.

It is still worth working extremely hard on your first attempt though as it will reduce any pressure you put on yourself, due to the three strike rule.

Thank you! Are the practice ones as hard as the real thing?
Thank you! Are the practice ones as hard as the real thing?

I thought the maths was harder than the practice ones and the English was significantly easier. It's just luck as to whether you get questions that are suited to your strengths, For example I was fortunate to get a fairly straight forward set of spellings when it is my weakest area. If you can pass the practice ones comfortably you should be ok with the real thing.
Reply 57
Yman Hello just reading through the thread and saw your post. Maths is my weakest area and wondered if you have any tipes for quickest and easiest ways to work things out. I am mainly worried anout the time limit fornthe mental arithmstic because i take much longer than 18 seconds 😔
Reply 58
@Cas24- just seen your post today, the way I worked things out on example questions similar to exam ones are as follows:

simplify 24/60- divide both numbers by 6 as it is the highest number that goes in both, this gives answer of 4/10

40% of 240-work out 10 percent giving 24 (just take 0 out) then times 24 by 4 giving 96

Travel 40 km how many km? do 5/8 times 40, 1/8 of 40=5 so 5/8= 5 times 5=25 miles, other way Travel 60 miles how many km?do 8/5 of 60, 1/5 of 60 =12 so 8/5= 8 times 12 = 96

2 classes of 24 students and 1 class of 32, Total? Double 24=48+32=80

Student has 40 mins normally, but given 20 percent extra time, total time now? - 10% of 40 mins=4 mins double to get 20% to be 8 mins and add to 40 min giving 48 mins

any more you want there are other questions possible such as money exchange, time (teacher appointments),money questions.

You get 55 seconds from the start, After you hear the question once start your workings
Has anyone had any experience of taking one of the skills test before both of your references have been submitted? I've booked mine for tomorrow, but one of my references hasn't been submitted, so I don't know if they'll accept my application.

Quick Reply

Latest