The Student Room Group

QTS Maths and Literacy tests 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adam020020
Hi all,

I just took the QTS Literacyand Numeracy test and passed both (1st attempt).

For the spellingsection; I’ve got a list of words which are most likely to come out (8 of whichcame up for me) - Pls inbox me and I can that sent across to you

Punctuation; i didover punctuate but contrary to what others say, your allowed to over punctuate

Grammar was veryinterested but not too difficult
Comprehension; MyGod was the text loooong, take your time, i requested more paper and each paragraphi read, i wrote a quick one-line summary of what’s going on.For the Numeracytest:

The first thing idid was quickly write down my 9 and 12 times table as these are really hard forme and converted 1/8 into a percentage 12.5% 3/8 into percentage 37.5% etc

Then i tried to juststay calm throughout the mental bit and use each second to double check meanswer.
For the secondsection, when reading the graphs, i zooooomed in using the keyboard ... Pleasedo this people.

Anyway, that’s mythoughts on the QTS test, feel free to ask any question!

Really struggling with working out speed distance time quickly any tips on making it easier?!!
Reply 81
I have my QTS numeracy exam today! feeling nervous but revised loads as this is my weaker area. The first time I did the test I got 25%. I have revised and taken the tests over and over again and get between 70% and 90%. Are there any tips people can give...as I get very nervous in exams and my mind goes blank!Thankyou x
Original post by eswales
I have my QTS numeracy exam today! feeling nervous but revised loads as this is my weaker area. The first time I did the test I got 25%. I have revised and taken the tests over and over again and get between 70% and 90%. Are there any tips people can give...as I get very nervous in exams and my mind goes blank!Thankyou x

Hi, I am in the same position, Maths is my weaker subject and I find it very hard. I have been revising and can get around 60-70% with online tests, but that's only because I know the questions from doing them a few times! 😄
I have my 2nd attempt booked for Saturday 😬
I assume you have taken the test now, how did you get on?!
Reply 83
Hey, My exam was at 6pm. Passed first time. So happy. The exam was actually okay. I revised and took the practice exams over and over again, even if I knew the answer, I focussed on the method and making sure I was getting it right. The things that did come up that I had revised for were pie, perimeter, and circumference. Considering I haven't look at those for about 10 years I remembered the method and were complicated questions. There were options for the answer to choose from which gave you an idea on the method to use. Do not panic...if I can pass it anyone can. I would just practice, practice and practice. Do the exams over and over again and reach for above 80%. Good luck!You will be fine x
Original post by eswales
Hey, My exam was at 6pm. Passed first time. So happy. The exam was actually okay. I revised and took the practice exams over and over again, even if I knew the answer, I focussed on the method and making sure I was getting it right. The things that did come up that I had revised for were pie, perimeter, and circumference. Considering I haven't look at those for about 10 years I remembered the method and were complicated questions. There were options for the answer to choose from which gave you an idea on the method to use. Do not panic...if I can pass it anyone can. I would just practice, practice and practice. Do the exams over and over again and reach for above 80%. Good luck!You will be fine x

Well done for passing!! That's great! Were the practise exams you did the on the professional skills website?
Reply 85
Original post by BethanyVJ
Well done for passing!! That's great! Were the practise exams you did the on the professional skills website?

Hey. Yeah just kept taking them over and over again. I watched you tube videos on them which helped me with methods too...quicker methods!

I bought the books but didn't look at them. I learn from watching videos and practicing. Just depends on how you learn lovely.

I stupidly bought the numeracy ready exam packs but they are a different format and kept failing them. I did not like them at all, make you feel like you can't do them. I scraped that and went back to the QTS Tests online and felt more confident doing those.

Just make sure you know your timetable table, percentages, decimals and graphs. you will be fine :smile: I learnt just to have confidence in yourself and don't doubt...you can achieve anything :smile:
Original post by eswales
Hey. Yeah just kept taking them over and over again. I watched you tube videos on them which helped me with methods too...quicker methods!

I bought the books but didn't look at them. I learn from watching videos and practicing. Just depends on how you learn lovely.

I stupidly bought the numeracy ready exam packs but they are a different format and kept failing them. I did not like them at all, make you feel like you can't do them. I scraped that and went back to the QTS Tests online and felt more confident doing those.

Just make sure you know your timetable table, percentages, decimals and graphs. you will be fine :smile: I learnt just to have confidence in yourself and don't doubt...you can achieve anything :smile:

Thank you so much for this, which YouTube videos exactly did you watch? Are there specific ones?
Original post by eswales

Guess what......!!! I passed!!!!! So pleased!! 😁😁😁😁😁 Thankyou for all of your support!
Reply 88
Original post by BethanyVJ
Guess what......!!! I passed!!!!! So pleased!! 😁😁😁😁😁 Thankyou for all of your support!

YAYYYY!!! congratulations! See you can do it :smile: So happy for you xx
Hi

Please can you send me the spelling details? Thanks
Original post by Adam020020
Hi all,

I just took the QTS Literacyand Numeracy test and passed both (1st attempt).

For the spellingsection; I’ve got a list of words which are most likely to come out (8 of whichcame up for me) - Pls inbox me and I can that sent across to you

Punctuation; i didover punctuate but contrary to what others say, your allowed to over punctuate

Grammar was veryinterested but not too difficult
Comprehension; MyGod was the text loooong, take your time, i requested more paper and each paragraphi read, i wrote a quick one-line summary of what’s going on.For the Numeracytest:

The first thing idid was quickly write down my 9 and 12 times table as these are really hard forme and converted 1/8 into a percentage 12.5% 3/8 into percentage 37.5% etc

Then i tried to juststay calm throughout the mental bit and use each second to double check meanswer.
For the secondsection, when reading the graphs, i zooooomed in using the keyboard ... Pleasedo this people.

Anyway, that’s mythoughts on the QTS test, feel free to ask any question!
Reply 90
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 91
No. You either get a pass or a fail, you dont know your mark. So you wont know how close you were.

And the marking is done by computer. You are either right or wrong. There is no middle ground like in a written exam, so if you fail, you fail.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Hey eswales. What youtube videos did you watch for the numeracy skills test? Could you forward them to me please. Did you's only practice only the 4 tests on the professional skills website (ie. DoH website)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any tips please guy. I'm really stressing here. Spelling is definitely my weak point! Thanks in advance x
Reply 94
Have you done the online tests?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Im due to take my third test in three weeks, any advice you could give on what tools you used to pass would be extremely helpful?
Original post by MJC4
Im due to take my third test in three weeks, any advice you could give on what tools you used to pass would be extremely helpful?

For the Numeracy one, work on perfecting the DfE ones. Do not stop until you are consistently scoring around 90%.

Find videos on YouTube by G&A Numerical. He goes through all the DfE tests and shows the quickest working out - which can then be applied to similar questions.

Check to see if your training provider is hosting sessions for you to attend. You can also do a search on EventBrite for sessions near you - though your uni will do them for free!

For literacy, there isn't much I can offer you, but for the spelling you can go on to Quizlet.com and search for "QTS Literacy" and find the list with the most words. Select it and do the spelling test. It will train you to write the correct spellings, as in it won't move on until you type it correctly.

I also recommend going over the DfE practice tests for literacy again and again and aim to score 80-90%. Don't stop until you can do this!

Forget the pass mark for both and aim high. You don't want to aim for the pass mark on a difficult real test!

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Hi Everyone, I'm really struggling to get the answers for QTS Maths in 18 seconds………..I'm at a all time low.I'm putting in practice and finding even with 25% extra time i just can't get the answers.Just wanted to mention I have no desire to teach Maths or Primary.Any tips or advice would be great :smile:
Reply 98
Hi,Please can I know what the words were?I have my literacy test tomorrow and they may come in really handy!Thanks so much,Darshna

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending