The Student Room Group

I wanted to ask TSR; is university worth it for me?

I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but I thought it would be better to ask this to people who're already at university and know what it offers.

I wanted to ask you guys; is university worth it for me?

I'm predicted to get BBB at A-level, though I believe that I'll probably get BBC in the end - A2 Chemistry is HARD - and I've had offers from some fairly decent but nothing special universities.

My original plan was to study Biomedical sciences, but I've recently been having some doubts about whether it's worth it, or whether I really want to go or not.

I've heard that degrees aren't really worth it in most cases unless they're from a high level university. The job market is saturated with graduates nowadays and having a degree doesn't really make you stand out in the same way it did, say, 50 years ago.

While I really enjoy my subject I don't really like the structured way that schools and universities teach a subject - I'd prefer to learn about things because I find them interesting, rather than because they're on a 'required modules' list. I'd be fairly happy learning about my subject in my own time while working on other things.

To be frank, I'm beginning to wonder whether I want to go to Uni. or not at this point. Everyone around me is so excited about going but I just can't sum up the enthusiasm (maybe I'm just a miserable bastard). I asked myself a few days ago why I wanted to go and the best reason I could think of is 'because it's what other people (teachers, parents, peers e.c.t.) expect me to do'.

While I originally wanted to go into research after doing a masters, I've had a change of heart since then. After talking to some real researchers about their work I've decided it's not really something I think suits me very well. So yeah, it's not like I need to go to university to get into my dream job because I don't have a dream job anymore. I also imagine that my degree/grades won't be good enough to do it anyway.

I don't particularly care about student life or anything like that because I'd probably never leave my room once I'm there anyway, so that's not really an issue. xD

So yeah, sorry if this was a bit of a rambling speech, but I just had to get it all of my chest in one go. Anyway, I wanted to ask you guys if going to university will actually be worth it for me or not?
If you didn't go to uni, what would your back up plan be? I wouldn't go to uni for the sake of it tbh. You don't sound too sure. There's nothing to stop you working for a few years and then applying. You don't have to go to uni at 18 / 19 when everyone else goes.
Reply 2
A year away from school can make you more motivated and focused-- and might even make your applications stronger so you get into places you're happier with.

You do need some sort of strategy, but just gutting it out when you have no idea of why you're there won't help.
Imo dont go from what you said. Much better you go and do something else and revisit the idea of uni in a few years when you are likely to have a better idea of what you want to do. A bit of time can give you a different perspective and theres no point going into debt until then. Do try and work out what you will do after A levels though, Maybe an apprenticeship? Go and talk to careers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending