Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    theres a question in paper 2 may/june 2015 psychology that i really dont know how to do:
    describe an alternative way to investigate social roles using observational method and describe how it could be conducted.

the question is originally based on the prison simulation study by Zimbardo
    i dont want to use prisoners and guards, i thought of teacher/student or mother/daughter roles but then how do i invesrigate the effect of the situational hypothesis on these social roles??

any help is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    For an alternative study the aim of the study must remain the same as in the original study of which you must state. Basically what this question wants is for you to change a few aspects of the study in which for this case is to change it from a field experiment method to observational method. You may also change other aspects of it like sample size. When answering an alternative study you must always state the what?(hypothesis, aim),how?(procedure, method)who?(sample)when?(length of study, time of study). You are not expected to make it perfect as there is usually an evaluation question that follows up. You are also not to talk about results as your alternative method has not been conducted. Be sure to assume that the examiner knows nothing about the original study. Structure your answer with paragraphs according to the what, who, how, when.

ReputationRep:
    If I was you I would stick to the original study but just change it so that it's an observation so you wouldn't have an IV would you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noor.m)
    If I was you I would stick to the original study but just change it so that it's an observation so you wouldn't have an IV would you?
    You would still have an IV it's just that because it'll be a natural observation, the experimenter will have no control over the IV and can only observe as it takes place

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.