The Student Room Group

Overpopulation: Myth or Reality?

Poll

Is Overpopulation a Myth or Reality?

Hello. I'm making a short documentary about overpopulation, and I need to gather some opinions on overpopulation, so I decided to create a Questionnaire (of sorts).

Here are the questions:

1) What is overpopulation [OR] How would you define overpopulation?

2) Do you think overpopulation is a problem?

3) Do you think we should be concerned about overpopulation?

4) Do you think overpopulation or the way we use resources is the problem?

5) What are the biggest issues that arise from overpopulation [OR] misuse of resources in your opinion?

6) Do you believe world growth would increase or decrease over the next 20 years
7) Could You suggest any solutions to the problem?

I would like honest answers please (no cheating i.e. google!).
Hi :smile:

1) Overpopulation is when there are too many people straining a finite amount of resources. This can manifest itself in very direct ways such as amount of oil or metals, or in more subtle ways such as environmental impact.

2) A very interesting question truth be told! I don't outright refuse that overpopulation is a possibility, but I believe humans have shown time and time again that it isn't the case. Taking the example of food, Thomas Malthus predicted that populations would inevitably overtake supply of food and lead to famine and society's setback. He couldn't have possibly predicted that tools would get better, mechanisation of farming would come about, or that artificial fertilisers would be made, signalling that human ingenuity has triumphed again and again. In the present we see the potential to support even greater a population, presented in the form of GM foods, but who knows what in the future.
Another interesting thing which I remember hearing before was the Carson-Erlich bet, in which Erlich, a biologist, predicted that population growth would inevitably lead to a straining of resources. Carson, an economist, believed that free markets would, by virtue of supply and demand inevitably lead to alternatives being produced. As such they had a wager on whether the price of various metals would go up or down over a period of time. In the end the economist was right, as industries were finding substitutes. An example would be the use of polymer plastic as an alternative to aluminium in food packaging!
3) Not particularly, unless we continue to have a rather small R&D budget!
4) Neither? I feel it is undesirable and outright shameful the amount of wastage of resources, but I don't think it really is too large a problem
5)Probably pollution, but hopefully with some advancements in science we'll be using renewable energy sources for our electricity in the future and cut dependency on fossil fuels!
6) Interesting question. An oft repeated statistic is that fertility of a population goes down with increasing education of women, which I am inclined to agree with. I, as many I expect would be inclined to agree, would probably attribute the rise in the world's population in the last say 50 years being down to the world's largely fertile population benefiting incredibly from healthcare innovations. However, with third world and developing countries all having better and better women's education, I think by itself the population growth will probably slow down.
7) As stated above, I don't think there are too many problems with overpopulation. Underpopulation is a real economic conern, as we're experiencing now with the younger Generation X's and millennials struggling to pay pensions for Baby Boomers. Being ever the optimist though, I hope that automisation of various industries will help to provide for humanity!
Original post by slymme

Same as the above user really. No point in repeating that.

Yes.

Yes.

Some economists deride the idea of overpopulation, and I've seen economics related books describe it as a "myth". I'm sure we'll see these sort of people show up in this thread as well. However, this ignores the environmental side of it - yes, we could provide for a growing population if we encroach even further on the countryside and destroy wildlife habitats for agricultural land and building, but that's just a stupid thing to do. We technically can, but we shouldn't.

A bit of both. If everyone in the world lived the way we did in the west, there wouldn't be enough resources on the planet for it. The amount we waste and throw away in this country is just ridiculous. However, overpopulation makes the environmental impacts harder to manage in my opinion.

5) What are the biggest issues that arise from overpopulation [OR] misuse of resources in your opinion?

Population growth means we need more land for agriculture, agriculture itself to be intensified for food production, as well as urban expansion. All of this puts pressure on the environment and conservation, and there is less land available for conservation if more is needed for food production. In general, it means increased consumption of all sorts of resources, and the environmental impact comes from that.

6) Do you believe world growth would increase or decrease over the next 20 years

Don't know.

Don't know.

Answers in italic.

For all I know, my view on this could be wrong or it's not as bad as I think, but I'm skeptical of that and I tend to err on the side of caution until proven otherwise with things like this. I think it's something that needs serious research and debate.
(edited 8 years ago)

Overpopulation is the state at which at which the population of a community increases to such a size that it is detrimental to the community as a whole.

No. At least, not for several generations.

Not particularly. Anthropologists have been predicting an overpopulation crisis for centuries, and so far every single one has been wrong. I am yet to be convinced that this trend will abruptly change.

I think that the way we use resources is a more pressing issue. I would certainly advocate a more efficient and less wasteful use of resources.

Perhaps future generations will have a lower standard of living than us, but I also have confidence in the human capacity to adapt and deal with issues as they arise.

6) Do you believe world growth would increase or decrease over the next 20 years?

I don't know. I do know, however, that many experts are predicting that global population will soon peak and - as an increasing number of nations become 'Westernised' and imitate the relatively low birth-rates typically found in the West - then begin to drop.

Not really. Invest in solar and nuclear energy, perhaps.
Reply 4
Original post by slymme
Hello. I'm making a short documentary about overpopulation, and I need to gather some opinions on overpopulation, so I decided to create a Questionnaire (of sorts).

Here are the questions:

Your questions are poorly designed and would produce unreliable results. It asks too many leading questions and not neutral ones.

If this is a serious project, I would suggest talking to your teacher/supervisor to design a better one.

Is your goal to add to the multitude of biased rubbish on Youtube?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Maker
Your questions are poorly designed and would produce unreliable results. It asks too many leading questions and not neutral ones.

If this is a serious project, I would suggest talking to your teacher/supervisor to design a better one.

Some of the questions I designed myself, others from the internet. My main goal is to gather opinions and not really statistics. Although, if you could suggest better questions I would be happy to add them. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by slymme
Some of the questions I designed myself, others from the internet. My main goal is to gather opinions and not really statistics. Although, if you could suggest better questions I would be happy to add them. :smile:

I'm not doing your work for you for free, find out how to design questionnaires yourself unless you want to pay me to do it for you.

Your questions are obviously leading and biased, I am surprised you don't know that yourself. By calling it overpopulation with a pic of the earth and people falling off it, you are already suggesting there is such a thing. Its like asking if all Muslims are terrorists by showing a pic of a brown bearded bloke with an AK47.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Maker
I'm not doing your work for you for free, find out how to design questionnaires yourself unless you want to pay me to do it for you.

Your questions are obviously leading and biased, I am surprised you don't know that yourself. By calling it overpopulation with a pic of the earth and people falling off it, you are already suggesting there is such a thing. Its like asking if all Muslims are terrorists by showing a pic of a brown bearded bloke with an AK47.

I'm not asking you to help me, only suggesting helpful criticism. To be completely honest with you I made this thread with little planning, but I purposely made leading questions for a purpose I shall not reveal or else it will spoil the point. :albertein:
overpopulation as an idea isn't a myth, seeing as there is a finite amount of living space and materials.
is it a problem today, becoming a problem, or not a problem? I think it's becoming a problem
I think the government's welfare state is definitely a contributing factor in the west - child benefit for instance
in the third world, there's a culture of having too many kids, basically - that's even stupider.
basically, instead of having more kids, people should either adopt or simply abstain - it's not absolute necessary to reproduce.
Reply 9
to say it's a myth is :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:s.......
Original post by slymme

Here are the questions:

You can define over population three ways.

Materially as in how much resources do we have for a set amount of people.
At some point the amount of people will be more than resources available for them.

Economical is there enough jobs to go around for x amount of people either globally or nationally.

Social what is an acceptable number of people to have nationally or globally.

Social is most interesting as it is a mix of both materials and economics.

Yes, to say otherwise would be simply retarded it's a matter of maths

Yes the population less than 100 years ago was 2 billion and today it is over 7 it's grown by 2 billion in the last 30 years.

It isn't sustainable at all

Over population, it wouldn't be socially acceptable to have say 15 billion people on earth if it meant extremely low living standards.

You could say we could force people to use fuels and food in certain ways and say it is materially sustainable but it wouldn't be acceptable.

The destruction of earth and civilisation as we know it today.

It's a matter of fact that the population will increase rapidly it is due to be 11 billion on projects by 2050

2 child policy implemented asap will slowly decrease the population

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Thank you everybody for contributing. I have all that I need :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending