Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    "The time it takes for a cheese and ham sandwhich to be toasted in a Cass ground floor cafetaria appears to be normally distributed. A random sample of the times for toasting 20 such sandwhich had a sample mean of 151 seconds and a sample standard deviation of 21.9 seconds.

What is the value of the upper end point of the 99% confidence interval for the mean time to toast a cheese and ham sandwich"

I got 163.61 but apparently the answer is 165.0098, any idea how they got this?.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally)
    "The time it takes for a cheese and ham sandwhich to be toasted in a Cass ground floor cafetaria appears to be normally distributed. A random sample of the times for toasting 20 such sandwhich had a sample mean of 151 seconds and a sample standard deviation of 21.9 seconds."

I got 163.61 but apparently the answer is 165.0098, any idea how they got this?.
    Am I being thick or have you not given the question? What are we meant to be finding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Am I being thick or have you not given the question? What are we meant to be finding?
    No i was being thick, sec lemme edit

ReputationRep:
    "The time it takes for a cheese and ham sandwhich to be toasted in a Cass ground floor cafetaria appears to be normally distributed. A random sample of the times for toasting 20 such sandwhich had a sample mean of 151 seconds and a sample standard deviation of 21.9 seconds."

What's the question.
    So  X \sim N(151, 21.9^2) .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    What's the question.
    So  X~N(151, 21.9^2) .
    see op now

ReputationRep:

I got 163.61 too and I'm inclined to agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    OK how about this one

"A sample of 24 independent observation is taken from a normal distribution of unknown mean μ but known variance σ2 = 96.42.
    The sample mean is 61.88 and sample variance is 57. What is the width of the 98% confidence interval for μ ?"

ReputationRep:
    Same.

ReputationRep:
    OK how about this one

"A sample of 24 independent observation is taken from a normal distribution of unknown mean μ but known variance σ2 = 96.42.
    The sample mean is 61.88 and sample variance is 57. What is the width of the 98% confidence interval for μ ?"
    7.17?

ReputationRep:
    7.17?
    Apparently, 9.3255, but could be another mistake . Thanks for the help tho

ReputationRep:
    Darn. Always sucks when the textbook answers are wrong.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    9.3255 is the correct value.

What's your calculation?

Note: You need to use the critical value to 4 dec.pl. to get their exact answer.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    "The time it takes for a cheese and ham sandwhich to be toasted in a Cass ground floor cafetaria appears to be normally distributed. A random sample of the times for toasting 20 such sandwhich had a sample mean of 151 seconds and a sample standard deviation of 21.9 seconds.

What is the value of the upper end point of the 99% confidence interval for the mean time to toast a cheese and ham sandwich"

Try the t-distribution - small sample. Book's answer is correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Try the t-distribution - small sample. Book's answer is correct.
    Thanks so much I got the answer now. But doesn't the central limit theorem say I should be able to approximate with a Normal Distribution, and if not then how large should sample size be before I can begin to estimate using Normal Distribution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    9.3255 is the correct value.

What's your calculation?

Note: You need to use the critical value to 4 dec.pl. to get their exact answer.
    My answer is wayyy off, can you post working please?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much I got the answer now. But doesn't the central limit theorem say I should be able to approximate with a Normal Distribution, and if not then how large should sample size be before I can begin to estimate using Normal Distribution
    Depends how accurate you want your results! If we focus attention on 99% confidence intervals, then the following bit of R code produces the attached graph.

The red line is the value of the normal 0.995 quantile and the blue that of the t distribution as the number of degrees of freedom varies. At 19 degrees of freedom (the value in the problem above) the relative error is about 11%; at 100 degrees of freedom it is just under 2%. The relative error gets worse as you go further out into the tails of the distributions.
    Code:
    x <- 10:100 
    y <- qt(0.995, x) 
    plot(x,y, type="l", lwd=2, col="blue", xlab="degrees of freedom", ylab="", ylim=c(2.5,3.2)) 
    abline(h=qnorm(0.995), lwd=2, col="red" )
    Attached Images

• Study Helper

Study Helper
    But doesn't the central limit theorem say I should be able to approximate with a Normal Distribution, and if not then how large should sample size be before I can begin to estimate using Normal Distribution
    You should have some guidelines on how large a sample, either from your textbook or lectures. Crawshaw & Chambers suggests n>= 30 if you wish to approximate, but that's just an A-level text: As this is undergraduate level you may have different criteria.

My answer is wayyy off, can you post working please?
    98% confidence interval implies 1% either end.
    So for your critical value, you're looking for z, such that \phi(z) = 1-0.01 = 0.99

Then s.d. = \sqrt{\frac{96.42}{24}}

Multiply by your z value and then double it for the interval length.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 3, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.