Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all! I'm really confused on probability and I just don't using the equations.I'm doing past paper questions trying to figure it out but I've became stuck on this questionOn a randomly chosen day the probability that Bill travels to school by car, by bicycle or on foot is 12, 16 and 13 respectively. The probability of being late when using these methods of travel is 15 , 25and 110 respectively. (a) Draw a tree diagram to represent this information.(3) (b) Find the probability that on a randomly chosen day (i) Bill travels by foot and is late, (ii) Bill is not late.(4) (c) Given that Bill is late, find the probability that he did not travel on foot.(4)I'm stuck on C and i somehow managed to get all the others myself.I've got the equation of p(f'|L)=P(F'nL)/P(L) but I have no idea as to find p(F'nL) and I have no idea how the MS did it!Thanks in advance!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JakeRStudent)
    Hey all! I'm really confused on probability and I just don't using the equations.I'm doing past paper questions trying to figure it out but I've became stuck on this questionOn a randomly chosen day the probability that Bill travels to school by car, by bicycle or on foot is 12, 16 and 13 respectively. The probability of being late when using these methods of travel is 15 , 25and 110 respectively. (a) Draw a tree diagram to represent this information.(3) (b) Find the probability that on a randomly chosen day (i) Bill travels by foot and is late, (ii) Bill is not late.(4) (c) Given that Bill is late, find the probability that he did not travel on foot.(4)I'm stuck on C and i somehow managed to get all the others myself.I've got the equation of p(f'|L)=P(F'nL)/P(L) but I have no idea as to find p(F'nL) and I have no idea how the MS did it!Thanks in advance!
    What have you done so far? (Including a picture of your tree diagram if possible)

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_3449.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  447.2 KB
    Attachment 518319518333
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    What have you done so far? (Including a picture of your tree diagram if possible)
    Theres all my working and how I got the answer for the last question. I just dont understand how I got the answer and it feels like a fluke to me
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Name:  IMG_3449.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  447.2 KB
    Attachment 518319518333

Theres all my working and how I got the answer for the last question. I just dont understand how I got the answer and it feels like a fluke to me
    Have to attached the right picture? The top one doesn't look like statistics.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_3450.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  497.1 KB
    Have to attached the right picture? The top one doesn't look like statistics.
    Yeah you were right, my bad :') Theres the correct one!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Name:  IMG_3450.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  497.1 KB
    Yeah you were right, my bad :' Theres the correct one!
    Hey I'm really sorry I haven't had the chance to reply, I'm actually away from home for a few days and won't get the chance to check this for you for a short while.

Could anyone else have a look?

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone else have a look?
    OK. JakeRStudent , you've got the first parts of this question right. As for that last one, hit it with Bayes' formula:

\displaystyle P(F'|L) = \frac{P(L | F' )P(F' )}{P(L | F' )P( F' ) +P(L | F)P(F)}

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.