Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got my finance letter and I'm getting ~£8000 in maintenance.

How much of this should be spent on rent, with the rest being day-to-day expenses?

ReputationRep:
    My rent takes up about 5/6ths of my loan.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Jack1066)

How much of this should be spent on rent, with the rest being day-to-day expenses?
    Thats all down to you really, accommodation cost varies city to city as it does between having a shared bathroom or an en suite. In 1st year i went for the cheapest halls i could find and so my rent took up about 55%.

ReputationRep:
    Just spend as little as you reasonably can. In my uni city you could find a room for £3000-3500 which was reasonable so no reason to spend any more than that but in London it's normal for rent to be the majority of your loan even on the maximum amount. The more you have for living expenses the more you will be able to relax during uni about money (and potentially even save a bit or do some travelling) but having a slightly larger bed or bathroom won't make a huge difference to your experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack1066)

That depends on how you plan to budget your loan/grant. I would suggest that leaving around £40 a week minimum to live on is doable, and people who aren't as lucky and receive much less grant/loan will have much less left over and still cope!

I would suggest living in as cheap a place as possible but where you are comfortable with the standard of accommodation. Having a little bit more money left over to cover you is better than having 5-star accommodation* but nothing left to buy a few textbooks or a train ticket home for the holidays!

*Not that there is probably such a thing as 5-star student accommodation...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.