Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I was going to call student finance but first thought I'd see here.

Last year I applied for student finance for my first year; proved I can be seen as home student (lived here for more than 3yrs). This year it did not ask me to do so. I assumed it's because I spent the year at uni and it would automatically see me as a home student.

My parents supported my application and I sent off the form. My payments now have been approved, but it says I am an EU student and so cannot get a maintenance loan.

I was going to call student finance next week but was wondering whether anyone could provide me with an explanation or some tips for what to do.

Thanks!!!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by cuppa)
    Hello!

I was going to call student finance but first thought I'd see here.

Last year I applied for student finance for my first year; proved I can be seen as home student (lived here for more than 3yrs). This year it did not ask me to do so. I assumed it's because I spent the year at uni and it would automatically see me as a home student.

My parents supported my application and I sent off the form. My payments now have been approved, but it says I am an EU student and so cannot get a maintenance loan.

I was going to call student finance next week but was wondering whether anyone could provide me with an explanation or some tips for what to do.

Thanks!!!
    Definitely call them up.

Did you apply before the 24 March? The residency rules changed and anyone applying after the 24 March is now only eligible for a maintenance loan if they've been resident in the UK for 5 years prior to the start of their course.

If you applied early then that should be fine for this year (it might just be a mix up while they figure out the new system) - it's possible that this means you wont be able to claim for a maintenance loan for your final year though.

ReputationRep:
    Update: rang up student finance.

The 25th March deadline does not apply to second/third year students.

Apparently, my account on their side is perfectly fine; they have even calculated the sum of money I am entitled to. The customer service adviser was quite surprised that the website (when accessed on both phone and laptop) was showing that I am an EU student.

No real solution was offered, but I was ensured that everything is fine and it must be a bug somewhere down the line.

Thought I should post this in case anyone else has this problem, as he told me he's not heard of such problem just yet. (I assume this could be because not many have yet applied.)
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by cuppa)
    Update: rang up student finance.

The 25th March deadline does not apply to second/third year students.

Apparently, my account on their side is perfectly fine; they have even calculated the sum of money I am entitled to. The customer service adviser was quite surprised that the website (when accessed on both phone and laptop) was showing that I am an EU student.

No real solution was offered, but I was ensured that everything is fine and it must be a bug somewhere down the line.

Thought I should post this in case anyone else has this problem, as he told me he's not heard of such problem just yet. (I assume this could be because not many have yet applied.)
    Thanks for the update - good to hear everything is ok (and that there's confirmation that the 24th March deadline doesn't affect continuing students - I was worried we'd have a lot of very upset students next year!). Fingers crossed the bugs sort out soon.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Im hoping to start uni in September this year and applied for finance on 24th of march. I have lived in UK since October 2010 and started school in JAN 2011 and provided evidence for last 3 years as that's what SFE requested. Checked my account today and it says im EU student and cant get maintenance loan! Really hoping its a system bug and I can go uni in September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkirsone)
    Hi. Im hoping to start uni in September this year and applied for finance on 24th of march. I have lived in UK since October 2010 and started school in JAN 2011 and provided evidence for last 3 years as that's what SFE requested. Checked my account today and it says im EU student and cant get maintenance loan! Really hoping its a system bug and I can go uni in September.
    Well, I hope you can! Make sure you ring them up on Monday, see what they say

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.