Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

A question we've been set is incredibly vague and I have no idea where to start. It says, "A source emits light with two monochromatic components of wave-lengths λ1 = 510.50 nm and λ2 = 510.90 nm. Using the Rayleigh criterion, find the minimum number of slits of a grating that must be illuminated by a beam from the source in order to resolve these components."

So it says to use Rayleigh, but there are two wavelengths...? I tried setting the equation with λ1 and λ2 on each side equal to each other by assuming D was the same in both, but now there are still two unknowns in terms of angles - \frac{1.22\lambda_1}{\theta_1} = \frac{1.22\lambda_2}{\theta_2}. Then I worked out the resolving power using the formula for diffraction gratings, but I don't know the order the light is received in (m) or N, so again there's two unknowns.

I can't find anything about this in the textbook or online. I'd really appreciate help here.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by velkyr)
    Hi everyone,

A question we've been set is incredibly vague and I have no idea where to start. It says, "A source emits light with two monochromatic components of wave-lengths λ1 = 510.50 nm and λ2 = 510.90 nm. Using the Rayleigh criterion, find the minimum number of slits of a grating that must be illuminated by a beam from the source in order to resolve these components."

So it says to use Rayleigh, but there are two wavelengths...? I tried setting the equation with λ1 and λ2 on each side equal to each other by assuming D was the same in both, but now there are still two unknowns in terms of angles - \frac{1.22\lambda_1}{\theta_1} = \frac{1.22\lambda_2}{\theta_2}. Then I worked out the resolving power using the formula for diffraction gratings, but I don't know the order the light is received in (m) or N, so again there's two unknowns.

I can't find anything about this in the textbook or online. I'd really appreciate help here.
    Have you tried simultaneous equations?

Like:

1.22lambda1/theta1 = 1.22lambda2/theta

and 1.22lambda1theta2/1.22lambda2theta1 = 1

Would that work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Have you tried simultaneous equations?

Like:

1.22lambda1/theta1 = 1.22lambda2/theta

and 1.22lambda1theta2/1.22lambda2theta1 = 1

Would that work?
    But... those two equations are exactly equivalent anyway. There would have to be a separate equation with different multiples of the same unknown variables to solve simultaneously?

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    But... those two equations are exactly equivalent anyway. There would have to be a separate equation with different multiples of the same unknown variables to solve simultaneously?
    I was thinking that

Then IDK

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Well if you just considered it for each individual wavelength, you could presumably get the minimum number of slits to resolve that wavelength. Then i would assume you would just pick the bigger number of slits of those 2 as you need to be able to resolve both wavelengths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Well if you just considered it for each individual wavelength, you could presumably get the minimum number of slits to resolve that wavelength. Then i would assume you would just pick the bigger number of slits of those 2 as you need to be able to resolve both wavelengths
    Okay that seems to be the way forward, but I still have a lot of unknowns. In Rayleigh, if I were to consider each wavelength separately, I don't know the corresponding angle or the diameter of aperture (nor do I know what the relevance of an aperture is to diffraction grating...) In the resolution equation I can actually use to find N, I still don't know the order of light. So while I would like to follow through on this idea I have no clue how to.

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    We have the wavelengths. We need to use the same diffraction grating to make the angles of the different wavelengths considerably different. Am I correct?

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Maybe simultaneous equations with the Rayleigh and the lambda = dsintheta/n equation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Maybe simultaneous equations with the Rayleigh and the lambda = dsintheta/n equation?
    Sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a go for one of the wavelengths and see if it works.

EDIT: never mind... trying to solve with there being a sin term (and only one sin term, in one equation) is making them impossible to solve from my standpoint.

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a go for one of the wavelengths and see if it works.

EDIT: never mind... trying to solve with there being a sin term (and only one sin term, in one equation) is making them impossible to solve from my standpoint.
    ah well...

gl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    ah well...

gl
    I asked around at Physicsforums and it turned out as simple as using the resolution equation and assuming that m must be 1 because that's the brightest light you can receive. The answer turned out to be 1277.

Thank you for your help anyway ^^

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    I asked around at Physicsforums and it turned out as simple as using the resolution equation and assuming that m must be 1 because that's the brightest light you can receive. The answer turned out to be 1277.

Thank you for your help anyway ^^
    OK

All's well that ends well

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.