Most Important French (or otherwise) Verb Tables for AS Level Watch

beckyfrance
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I'm doing AS Level French and obviously exam season is just around the corner, so I was wondering what verbs are the most important to learn? I'm talking mainly about irregulars here, mainly in the present tense, since I've pretty much got most of the other irregulars in the future and past tenses.

Weirdly enough, I find that we've skipped over the present irregulars, in GCSE and in AS Level, so it would be really helpful if someone would give me some advice. Knowing the irregulars in the present would also help to form some other structures.

Thanks in advance!
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by beckyfrance)
Hi, I'm doing AS Level French and obviously exam season is just around the corner, so I was wondering what verbs are the most important to learn? I'm talking mainly about irregulars here, mainly in the present tense, since I've pretty much got most of the other irregulars in the future and past tenses.

Weirdly enough, I find that we've skipped over the present irregulars, in GCSE and in AS Level, so it would be really helpful if someone would give me some advice. Knowing the irregulars in the present would also help to form some other structures.

Thanks in advance!
Try the 21 "magic" verbs from Caroline Tracey's Essential French Grammar:

être
avoir
aller
faire
vouloir
pouvoir
devoir
savoir
voir
prendre
venir
mettre
dire
connaître
croire
ouvrir
vivre
recevoir
conduire
écrire
craindre

The beauty of this list is that many of these verbs are the basis for other, similar verbs: for example, venir will also help you conjugate devenir, revenir, se souvenir, tenir, retenir; ouvrir will help you do couvrir, découvrir, offrir and souffrir, and so on.
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by beckyfrance)

Thanks in advance!
(Original post by Anna Schoon)
Try the 21 "magic" verbs from Caroline Tracey's Essential French Grammar:

être
avoir
aller
faire
vouloir
pouvoir
devoir
savoir
voir
prendre
venir
mettre
dire
connaître
croire
ouvrir
vivre
recevoir
conduire
écrire
craindre

The beauty of this list is that many of these verbs are the basis for other, similar verbs: for example, venir will also help you conjugate devenir, revenir, se souvenir, tenir, retenir; ouvrir will help you do couvrir, découvrir, offrir and souffrir, and so on.
To take up where I left off earlier - ran out of time!Take ouvrir, for example. Present tense: j'ouvre, tu ouvres...; past participle: ouvert.Look at decouvrir: Present tense: je découvre, tu découvres...; past participle: découvert Now look at offrir: Present tense: j'offre, tu offres...; past participle: souffert See the pattern?

Craindre is a great one:
Present tense: je crains; nous craignont, ils craignent; past participle: craint
Therefore: imperfect: je craignais...; Subjunctive: que je craigne

Loads of verbs like craindre: éteindre, atteindre, peindre, se plaindre, joindre, rejoindre.. Hence, for example:

ils ont atteint - they reached; qu'il atteigne - that he (it) reaches (subjunctive)
il avait éteint la lumière - he had turned off the light
s'il se plaignait - if he complained
and so on.

So by just learning these 21 verbs, you end up learning the majority of the irregular verbs that you're likely to need for AS. Good stuff. I always recommend this to my students. We use the book which is brilliant: http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Gramm.../dp/095706120X . Best book on the market for grammar, in my view as a teacher!
beckyfrance
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Anna Schoon)
To take up where I left off earlier - ran out of time!Take ouvrir, for example. Present tense: j'ouvre, tu ouvres...; past participle: ouvert.Look at decouvrir: Present tense: je découvre, tu découvres...; past participle: découvert Now look at offrir: Present tense: j'offre, tu offres...; past participle: souffert See the pattern?

Craindre is a great one:
Present tense: je crains; nous craignont, ils craignent; past participle: craint
Therefore: imperfect: je craignais...; Subjunctive: que je craigne

Loads of verbs like craindre: éteindre, atteindre, peindre, se plaindre, joindre, rejoindre.. Hence, for example:

ils ont atteint - they reached; qu'il atteigne - that he (it) reaches (subjunctive)
il avait éteint la lumière - he had turned off the light
s'il se plaignait - if he complained
and so on.

So by just learning these 21 verbs, you end up learning the majority of the irregular verbs that you're likely to need for AS. Good stuff. I always recommend this to my students. We use the book which is brilliant: http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Gramm.../dp/095706120X . Best book on the market for grammar, in my view as a teacher!
Thank you so much! This is really helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (166)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.54%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.61%

Watched Threads