Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I met this girl online several days ago and we seem to be getting on pretty well (online anyway). I would have asked her out by now but it's a bit of a distance between us (about a 2 hour train journey).

Would it be unreasonable to suggest a date in a town halfway? (I think the journey for her would be slightly quicker at least)

I would be happy to travel the distance to hers, but I've had a number of dates in the past where the girl has left after just 2 drinks... so I'm a little uneasy. Thankfully the last 2 dates I've been on have lasted several hours so that is at least a bit of a confidence booster if anything (despite not getting a 2nd date afterwards)

Also, might it look really desperate if I wanted to travel all that way when we've never met in person?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I wouldnt meet till you are both comfortable about it. That would reduce the chance of her leaving early.
    Its not unreasonable imo, but she could think differently and might find it more acceptable if the meet was on familiar territory.
    Do you think you could do a relationship with a 2hr commute?

ReputationRep:
    Not desperate at all and yeah half way is fine..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I wouldnt meet till you are both comfortable about it. That would reduce the chance of her leaving early.
    Its not unreasonable imo, but she could think differently and might find it more acceptable if the meet was on familiar territory.
    Do you think you could do a relationship with a 2hr commute?
    Thanks, do you think I should carry on talking to her online for a few more days before I suggest meeting up? Sometimes I worry about them losing interest if I don't make a move soon enough.

She is going to be moving a little closer to where I live in a couple months so the commute would be about half as much at that point I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamff73642)
    Thanks, do you think I should carry on talking to her online for a few more days before I suggest meeting up? Sometimes I worry about them losing interest if I don't make a move soon enough.

She is going to be moving a little closer to where I live in a couple months so the commute would be about half as much at that point I think.
    A 1hour commute isn't much to be honest, so that will be fine, but hell yes you should make a move sooner than then IF you assume she's the sort of woman who would want you to.

It really does depend though. Some girls want to meet ASAP, some want to talk for weeks first. Just be very wary of insecure ladies... Also, I would suggest always being gentlemanly even if such annoys you - girls are irrational most of the time and it disproportionately improves their standing towards you. Pay for everything on the first date unless she specifically calls you out for doing so and if she does, she's awesome. If she doesn't, she's just normal.

Also, it definitely does't come across as over eager, especially considering she will be moving closer in a few months. And whether you should talk to her more before meeting her just depends on what sort of person she is - how fast does she want to meet up - and how much you've spoke so far. You need to make sure y'all have enough to talk about to last a few hours at least.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Why not just ask her? its difficult to appreciate as you are the one doing the talking. I assume you are skyping? If you are getting on well, then ask but dont rush it? Imo 7 days isnt long. If she says no, then youve saved yourself a journey.. Unless you are getting on amazingly well then 2hrs is a long way to go. Play it by ear and just ask without pressure whether she would like to or wait till she has moved home. I cnat say because you're the one having the conversations. Sorry its not definitive.

I just think you can tell from your conversations which we dont have the benefit of.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you bothering going on dates with someone who is 2 hours away? Ever heard of logistics brah?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.