Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After visiting the University of Surrey last week I realized this is the best choice for me even if it is ranked 33rd in my course (law). I loved the fact that it's only 30 minutes away from London by train and the town looked wonderful. So in order to be 100% that I'm making the right choice I have some questions:
    1) In my UCAS application I chose law with international studies without the placement year but now I've changed my mind. Will I be able to have a placement/ professional training year?
    2) Will the fact that surrey uni is in 33rd place in law ranking affect my postgraduate degree or even my employment? Will a university like UCL for example or King's accept me for a postgraduate degree?
    3) So concerning accommodation I want an ensuite room. Will you suggest manor park or inside campus? I want to be able to socialize, not being obligated to wake up earlier to attend the lectures and after a night out to go back to my room easily buuut I also want some quiet in order to study or get some sleep without noise or music keeping awake at night.
    4) Are there any opportunities for part time jobs?
    5) will I able to rent/buy a bike for my transportation? Are there places to park your bike and do students use bikes in general?
    6) is smoking allowed on campus?

Thank you xx

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually go to Surrey yet, but I can help you with a couple of things. You should be able to transfer to the placement course when you get there, and accommodation-wise you don't get to pick where you stay, you have to rank what kind of room you want. So you'd put Band D (ensuite) first, and then go down the rest of the options. The rest I'm not sure. It makes sense that they'll let you smoke on campus, as long as you're outside, and as long as you get a good degree most places don't really care where it's from. In fact, more and more places are looking at applications blind e.g. with the uni name covered up, to stop favouritism towards certain unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernerdural)
    I don't actually go to Surrey yet, but I can help you with a couple of things. You should be able to transfer to the placement course when you get there, and accommodation-wise you don't get to pick where you stay, you have to rank what kind of room you want. So you'd put Band D (ensuite) first, and then go down the rest of the options. The rest I'm not sure. It makes sense that they'll let you smoke on campus, as long as you're outside, and as long as you get a good degree most places don't really care where it's from. In fact, more and more places are looking at applications blind e.g. with the uni name covered up, to stop favouritism towards certain unis.
    Thank you so much for your answer! Do you know if I can ask to be in the same flat with my best friend if she asks for a band d room too?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.