Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Please can anyone who has done/is currently doing the AQA LAW01 paper please help me with how you'd answer this question?!

    An either-way offence, such as Actual Bodily Harm (ABH), can be tried either in the Magistrates Court or in the Crown Court. Describe the role of lay magistrates when dealing with an either-way offence. (10 marks)

    I do BTEC Law, so I'll throw in what I know.

    In some triable either way offenses, the magistrates have the option of dealing with it themselves, or sending it to the Crown Courts. They deal with all criminal offenses; it's just with the indictable and some triable either way that they send up. The Magistrates are expected to use their judgement in whether they think the defendant will get longer than the max sentence they can give (6 months). If the case is serious enough, then it gets sent up. Of course, you've got the initial procedure before it's sent up where the defendant confirms their name and all that stuff.
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni


Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:



Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.