Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sometimes i feel like i'm not sure what i want to do with my life. As a kid I wanted to be a lawayer, or a scientist, or a medical doctor (sort of wide i know but these were all my interests at the time).

I was really really great at science subjects so went down that route, failed at getting into medicine and did a life science degree instead. Half-way through i realised research and a career in life science wasn't for me and I didn't want to spend another 5 years in med school so didnt apply for a med degree again.

Then i started to do a little research and found out that some universities offered graduate law courses, after doing weeks and weeks of research into it i decided to apply for an LLB and got into a great uni. But i'm worried that i'll start the degree and find out it wasn't what i thought it would be, like with science and like with medicine.

What i really want in life: is actually to be happy, make a difference that matters to me make some money (cause in the real world people actually need money). But then again this is exactly the same thing every idealist says which makes me worry that i'll end up some middle-aged guy working a job I hate with shattered dreams.

No this is not a troll lol, asking here cause don't want to talk to my friends about it..

I sometimes feel the same, i wanted to be an athlete, then a lawyer and now what? not sure.

It's ok, just explore and find out what suits you.

After exploring a bit i found out that sitting in an office facing a computer screen 24/7 is not for me.

(Original post by Blackstarr)
    I sometimes feel the same, i wanted to be an athlete, then a lawyer and now what? not sure.

It's ok, just explore and find out what suits you.

After exploring a bit i found out that sitting in an office facing a computer screen 24/7 is not for me.
    I feel the same as well, computer screens 24/7 wouldn't work for me, likewise working in the same lab day in-day out, any ideas on what next?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel the same as well, computer screens 24/7 wouldn't work for me, likewise working in the same lab day in-day out, any ideas on what next?
    Maybe you will prefer an outdoor career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Sometimes i feel like i'm not sure what i want to do with my life. As a kid I wanted to be a lawayer, or a scientist, or a medical doctor (sort of wide i know but these were all my interests at the time).

I was really really great at science subjects so went down that route, failed at getting into medicine and did a life science degree instead. Half-way through i realised research and a career in life science wasn't for me and I didn't want to spend another 5 years in med school so didnt apply for a med degree again.

Then i started to do a little research and found out that some universities offered graduate law courses, after doing weeks and weeks of research into it i decided to apply for an LLB and got into a great uni. But i'm worried that i'll start the degree and find out it wasn't what i thought it would be, like with science and like with medicine.

What i really want in life: is actually to be happy, make a difference that matters to me make some money (cause in the real world people actually need money). But then again this is exactly the same thing every idealist says which makes me worry that i'll end up some middle-aged guy working a job I hate with shattered dreams.

No this is not a troll lol, asking here cause don't want to talk to my friends about it..
    Sometimes I think the answer comes after the process, for example sometimes if you keep walking you figure out the correct directions to your destination in the end, same with life, you have to do something to get somewhere. Go for the LLB, don't be discouraged before you have even started. Maybe you'll find something that interests you in the process. Honestly you have to make and complete steps to see progress. :-) good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You are so talented. Goodnight

ReputationRep:
    The direction doesn't matter, just enjoy the journey

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel! Ultimately we need money and need to be happy. I have piss all money of my own and dont know whats going to happen with my career! Ive jumped around all sorts of jobs, just to pay for my home. Decided to take a degree at the age of 25, it's not gone well.... I also wanted to change my course but I got sick so stuck with it. Its okay that you dont know what you want to do, thats so difficult.... university is hard, its not for everyone, and you dont know if you will like it until your there, its a massive gamble eh. Have you applied for the law course? If so the best of luck to you, your learning about yourself and thats incredibly important. If you get to try these things you are incredibly lucky. Learn, live, try to be happy, your following your heart. You wont have shattered dreams in a job you hate, use all your experience, work hard regardless, you will find a job you can be content in, never stop trying, happiness is so important.

ReputationRep:
    I think the most important thing to realise here is that you are not alone. In fact, I'd say you're in the majority. I know very few people who know exactly what they want to do in their life.

It really sucks because when you're younger you create such high expectations of yourself, I remember I wanted to be a rich and famous Hollywood actor (lol) and I was dead set on the idea until I finished school and realised that the 'real world' isn't that easy and it left me feeling pretty depressed as I hadn't even entertained the thought that my dream career wouldn't come true.

My advice would be to try not to overthink things and instead enjoy the present. Spend time bettering yourself, by reading, travelling, networking/meeting new people. I've recently met some new people who have careers in marketing and PR, something that I had never considered myself to be interested in before, but having spoken to them about it I'm now looking for jobs in that industry because it sounds so interesting and fun!

I hope this helps a little bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.