Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    My question is how often/ how many hours are people generally in uni for a Masters per week? I've been accepted onto a MA Education and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages at Bishop Grosseteste University, It's a 1 year course.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string because every course at every uni is so different. In this regard the uni will be able to give you the best answer.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't most masters degrees 4 years?

ReputationRep:
    I will do thanks! Most of them at my Uni are 1 year if its full time i believe.

ReputationRep:
    I can't answer this one either (and I've done a MA in Education) - it depends a bit on why you want to know

…if it's because you live some distance from the uni and will find it cheaper to study at home some days - well that'll probably be possible especially at dissertation stage

…if it's because you want to fit in a job around it - if you're doing a full-time Masters, you'd need to be super-disciplined and have a job with flexible hours, otherwise your study could suffer

But whichever it is, the number of hours per week will vary a lot through the year so there probably isn't an easy answer - like beautifulbigmacs says, ask the uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExeMED97)
    Aren't most masters degrees 4 years?
    Lol, no. They're 1-2 years full-time, depending on the ratio of taught/research credits.

You're thinking of integrated masters' degrees, usually in sciences (e.g. MPhys, MChem).

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above - best to ask the uni. Although beware that course arrangements can change. I commuted 35 miles for my Masters and when I asked in advance of applying, I was assured that all teaching would be between 9-5. When I got there, I found that there were weekly evening guest lectures 7:30-9pm and that it was compulsory to attend them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.