Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Soooo, it's a week into Easter break and I've been on and off revision :/ I need some motivation...

ReputationRep:
    EIther imagine yourself failing (that's what I do) or put on some motivational music or playlist.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I've only just broken up for Easter and am currently psyching myself up for revision too... I don't know what subjects you're taking but here are some ways I revise to get grades worth the time you put in - hope they help!

1. Condense the notes you have on a module and out this information on ONE mind map. I find the whole process of going throug the notes, and just retaining the information you ACTUALLY NEED really useful - it saves time revising usefless facts you really don't need.

2. For literature, annotate the texts you're studying. I'm studying Of Mice and Men and An. Inspector Calls, and found this really helpful too - you can pick out language and structure techniques you can write about in the actual exam!

3. I guess this is a given, but PAST PAPERS! I know it's dreary, but this really is the best revision tool EVER. If you don't want to do a whole paper, just do 1/2 questions timed in between revision or lunch or whatever.

4. DO NOT REVISE EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! I find I retain much more information if I take the day off, or even just a few hours. Your brain is like a sponge, it can absorb information, but if your put too much in at one, it all starts to leak out!

Hope that was useful in some way - just remember, we still have time so stay calm!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by one_man_abdullah)
    EIther imagine yourself failing (that's what I do) or put on some motivational music or playlist.
    I wish that would work for me but it honestly doesn't haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erin Atlanta)
    Hiya,

I've only just broken up for Easter and am currently psyching myself up for revision too... I don't know what subjects you're taking but here are some ways I revise to get grades worth the time you put in - hope they help!

1. Condense the notes you have on a module and out this information on ONE mind map. I find the whole process of going throug the notes, and just retaining the information you ACTUALLY NEED really useful - it saves time revising usefless facts you really don't need.

2. For literature, annotate the texts you're studying. I'm studying Of Mice and Men and An. Inspector Calls, and found this really helpful too - you can pick out language and structure techniques you can write about in the actual exam!

3. I guess this is a given, but PAST PAPERS! I know it's dreary, but this really is the best revision tool EVER. If you don't want to do a whole paper, just do 1/2 questions timed in between revision or lunch or whatever.

4. DO NOT REVISE EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! I find I retain much more information if I take the day off, or even just a few hours. Your brain is like a sponge, it can absorb information, but if your put too much in at one, it all starts to leak out!

Hope that was useful in some way - just remember, we still have time so stay calm!
    I've been doing lots of maths past paper questions and I feel quite comforted in terms of maths. I've just been going through and writing out final B1 and B2 notes (I've already done B3 notes) I guess it's English I'm worrying about most- I'm fine with English language but it's more off English lit. I'm doing the same texts as you (yay!) and I've previously written thorough character analysis and themes for my mock exams back in November so I do have the notes...it's more of just structuring my answer to be honest- I don't know how to structure my responses to the questions correctly. any tips?

ReputationRep:
    You are honestly going to be fine! I've already done my Maths GCSE and Core Science GCSEs so what your doing sounds perfect! I know this sounds really weird and stuff but I did maths in Year 8, the only reason I did well was because I watched My Maths everyday and did TONS of past papers!

For English Lit, my school made a HUGE mess up and we had to redo all of our coursework! So I haven't done a lot of exam practice. However, I have fully annotated both OMAM and AIC - I had different colour highlighters for Characters, Themes/Plot, Language, Sturcture and Context. As you can probs tell, I'm a bit of a geek. But it works! Also, go on the BBC website and watch the mini videos about the play and novella - super useful!

ReputationRep:
    I completed my gcses last summer and currently preparing for AS exams. i would strongly recommend for content heavy subjects like science look at revision videos on youtube. Some are quite fun and encourage you to make mind maps.
    Also, anyone looking for science help (AQA board, but can apply to any with similar content), check out 'freesciencelessons'. his videos are very short and straight to the point.

Good luck to you all, they aren't as scary as you may think! If you need any more tips or advice happy to help :

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erin Atlanta)
    You are honestly going to be fine! I've already done my Maths GCSE and Core Science GCSEs so what your doing sounds perfect! I know this sounds really weird and stuff but I did maths in Year 8, the only reason I did well was because I watched My Maths everyday and did TONS of past papers!

For English Lit, my school made a HUGE mess up and we had to redo all of our coursework! So I haven't done a lot of exam practice. However, I have fully annotated both OMAM and AIC - I had different colour highlighters for Characters, Themes/Plot, Language, Sturcture and Context. As you can probs tell, I'm a bit of a geek. But it works! Also, go on the BBC website and watch the mini videos about the play and novella - super useful!
    Thanks! I done my triple science chem and physics last year -thankfully- so I have those off my plate. That's so impressive, maths is definitely my weakest subject but as I said doing those past papers has put my mind to rest...a bit. Ugh that sounds horrible, I think I'll use the BBC bitesize notes as I've heard so many people praising it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megannatashax)
    I completed my gcses last summer and currently preparing for AS exams. i would strongly recommend for content heavy subjects like science look at revision videos on youtube. Some are quite fun and encourage you to make mind maps.
    Also, anyone looking for science help (AQA board, but can apply to any with similar content), check out 'freesciencelessons'. his videos are very short and straight to the point.

Good luck to you all, they aren't as scary as you may think! If you need any more tips or advice happy to help :
    I do use mygcsescience but I feel as if his videos are a bit too basic for me so I just use my text book, I'll surely check out 'freesciencelessons' though. I've started making mindmaps for my History revision, they really do help. Just out of curioisty, how many hours of revision did you do for your GCSEs a day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dalaltahira)
    I do use mygcsescience but I feel as if his videos are a bit too basic for me so I just use my text book, I'll surely check out 'freesciencelessons' though. I've started making mindmaps for my History revision, they really do help. Just out of curioisty, how many hours of revision did you do for your GCSEs a day?
    It averaged from around 6-7 hours a day with breaks, thats because Easter break started a lot later than this year, so lets all thank the calendar that Easter has come early! during the Easter holidays i would average my hours to a normal school day as its the schedule i'm used to!

Also, definitely check 'freesciencelessons' out, i find from his videos i can make revision flash cards! i find mygcsescience very long, but that was just my personal preference.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.