Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How do you have the motivation to keep going in Year 12, because I am so ready to give up on everything. Physics is just draining me of all my patience and energy. I really hate Physics but I sort of have to take it next year. Any tips on how to stay motivated?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy, and I won't lie, I cried at points during AS. You'll get better at handling it, I haven't cried thus far in A2.

My parents are really supportive with my education, they just say revise an hour or so everyday, and whatever I end up with is cool.

Idk what your target grades are but last year I was predicted C's, and got BBC.

Try your best, keep revision ticking over, don't overwork yourself. Whatever you get is a brilliant achievement - you should be proud of yourself, so don't stress over getting perfect A's. You might surprise yourself and get better than expected if you just try your best, but don't stress.

Remember to enjoy your teenage years as well, have at least a night or two a week off to see friends or whatever.

Nobody can ever ask that you do more than your best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sue99)
    How do you have the motivation to keep going in Year 12, because I am so ready to give up on everything. Physics is just draining me of all my patience and energy. I really hate Physics but I sort of have to take it next year. Any tips on how to stay motivated?
    Most of my drive came from wanting to prove myself, and making sure I got grades to get to Uni - I was aiming for Oxford at the time, ( also trying to do as well as my sister :P )
    I took on a lot of work (against most people's advice) so my motivation mostly came from trying to do my best and prove that I could do it!

I hated physics though, my teacher was so dull that it was a struggle to get through lessons. A large part of the reason I took it to second year was that I wanted 4 A Levels! Why do you have to take it next year? Is it a degree course requirement? :/

In my opinion A Levels got better in second year, we had smaller classes and I preferred the people I was with. My advice is to break down your work into achievable goals, so you can check lots of things off, and focus on what you want in the long term

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiesaurus)
    Most of my drive came from wanting to prove myself, and making sure I got grades to get to Uni - I was aiming for Oxford at the time, ( also trying to do as well as my sister :P )
    I took on a lot of work (against most people's advice) so my motivation mostly came from trying to do my best and prove that I could do it!

I hated physics though, my teacher was so dull that it was a struggle to get through lessons. A large part of the reason I took it to second year was that I wanted 4 A Levels! Why do you have to take it next year? Is it a degree course requirement? :/

In my opinion A Levels got better in second year, we had smaller classes and I preferred the people I was with. My advice is to break down your work into achievable goals, so you can check lots of things off, and focus on what you want in the long term
    Well, I was aiming to go to Cambridge and study Chemical Engineering but now since I'm struggling to find work experience and can think of nothing else unique that I can put on my personal statement, I've settled for Imperial instead, but again, I have my doubts. I get the feeling I won't even get there. Sometimes I just have the motivation and then it just disappears when I have a Physics mock or an end-of-topic exam, because they really let me down . I definitely have to take Physics, as it is a course requirement and I don't really enjoy Biology and didn't take Economics either, and also because from what I've heard, Chemical Engineering is more Physics-based than anything else, which doesn't sound good, but hopefully my mood will change once I start to study it! I guess it's pretty daunting too and when I'm surrounded by much cleverer people, it sort of doesn't help me, because I just pity myself for not being able to do well. But thank you for your kind words Just out of interest, what are you studying/what did you study at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sue99)
    Well, I was aiming to go to Cambridge and study Chemical Engineering but now since I'm struggling to find work experience and can think of nothing else unique that I can put on my personal statement, I've settled for Imperial instead, but again, I have my doubts. I get the feeling I won't even get there. Sometimes I just have the motivation and then it just disappears when I have a Physics mock or an end-of-topic exam, because they really let me down . I definitely have to take Physics, as it is a course requirement and I don't really enjoy Biology and didn't take Economics either, and also because from what I've heard, Chemical Engineering is more Physics-based than anything else, which doesn't sound good, but hopefully my mood will change once I start to study it! I guess it's pretty daunting too and when I'm surrounded by much cleverer people, it sort of doesn't help me, because I just pity myself for not being able to do well. But thank you for your kind words Just out of interest, what are you studying/what did you study at university?
    If you want to go to Cambridge there's no harm in applying (also Imperial is as good as/better than Oxbridge in terms of rankings so don't feel like you're settling for it!) In terms of work experience I doubt there'll be many other applicants with any, but maybe a place to look would be departments at Universities near you - they may let you do some chemistry in labs or something?
    Other than that, you can make your application stand out by talking about a hobby/interest/something you enjoy - it's not too late! If you make the most of your summer - volunteer/volunteer abroad - you'll gain plenty of skills to put on your cv and show your commitment! If there's anything I regret it's not making the most of the long summer holidays while I had the chance! If you do some searching there's plenty of stuff about volunteering/working at summer camps in the UK or abroad- if you have a language skill that could be an option There's also au-pairing if that interests you? Basically lots of stuff if you put yourself out there!

I worried too about being surrounded by clever people - one of the reasons I'm glad i'm not at a super prestigious uni is that I'd worry about the pressure to do well when surrounded by A* students! Having said that, if you get offered a place they obviously think you're capable enough to be there so take confidence in that

With your physics, have you spoken to your teacher about why you're not doing well in your mocks? If you can find out what's going wrong - eg not getting the theory right/ not having the exam technique right/ maths questions / silly mistakes etc you can identify where you need to improve and maybe that might help motivate you? Once you have clearer goals about how to do better you can try to achieve them instead of mindlessly slogging away!

Go to plenty of open days and ask current students questions - also on TSR, to make sure you're definitely choosing the right degree and that you find the Uni that's best for you

Sorry for the rambling :P I study geology at Leicester

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.