Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been rejected from all 5 of my UCAS choices, despite being on track to have the required grades. I've also been rejected from my backup options, HND courses at 3 different colleges which I already have more than the required grades. I understand it's been really competitive this year, but that won't help me figure what the hell I'm going to do with the next year or two of my life. I seriously have no clue. Anyone have any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Sit around jacking it for a year

ReputationRep:
    Try to get a job? Travel if you can afford it?

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you need.

If you're in STEM I would recommend the year in industry for a paid internship

Otherwise, if you're into medicine, you could do volunteering / internship at a hopistal (not sure if thats a thing)

You could do a gap year with the army, which will help you develop leadership skills (as you will become a second lieutenant) and get paid

You could apply for Step Forward, a gap year program for students, which puts you in a paid internship at some company doing various jobs.

You could also tutor, or volunteer somewhere creative. For example, my friend got a summer job at a game reserve in south africa. Pretty badass huh?

ReputationRep:
    I might end up in this position too and I've been thinking that I'd try to get some work experience - both in areas relevant to what I want to do and just to get some money so that I can save up and reapply next year to a wider range of courses. Trying to get a job of some sort is definitely what I'd suggest doing! There are also a lot of jobs and opportunities that are specifically targeted at gap year students so it would be worth seeing if any of those are still available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryDave)
    I've been rejected from all 5 of my UCAS choices, despite being on track to have the required grades. I've also been rejected from my backup options, HND courses at 3 different colleges which I already have more than the required grades. I understand it's been really competitive this year, but that won't help me figure what the hell I'm going to do with the next year or two of my life. I seriously have no clue. Anyone have any suggestions?
    What course did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    Work experience.

ReputationRep:
    Try get a job or traineeship? Take this gap year then reapply if you still want to go to university.

ReputationRep:
    I've only been rejected from 2/5, but they were the only courses I really wanted to attend.
    Therefore I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. I'm already on a gap year (re-sat some exams, been working and travelling), but I think I'll just stick to it.

I will:
    - Work (mainly to save up money for uni)
    - Travel (for the hell of it)
    - Create and produce a shitload of things (I only applied to creative art courses)
    - Do yoga and meditate to help clear mind and body

I'm such a cliché.

I've also contemplated getting work placement or a paid internship in a relevant business. Experience is key in (not only) the creative industry, so I hope it'll help me get a job post uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadEnd_96)
    What course did you apply for?
    I would guess history from the username

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.