Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have done a past paper and I'm struggling a bit with these. Can any body help me please
    I have the link for all the questions on one drive with all my annotations of what I don't understand.
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?page...PcNtrd39SGbruU

Thankyou
    Jodie

ReputationRep:
    I presume the boat is supposed to be traveling horizontally across the surface of the water... in which case you are interested in the horizontal component of the tension.

The question is asking you about the movement of the knot which is at a fixed distance along the rope... the wave is travelling left to right and initially at time=0 the knot is at position A
    ... after some small time interval the wave will have moved to the position shown in red and the knot will be at the position marked B
    after another small time interval the wave will have moved to the position shown in orange and the knot will be at position C
    after another small time interval the wave will have moved to the position shown in green and the knot will be at position D

Name:  wave progress.png
Views: 34
Size:  48.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    I presume the boat is supposed to be traveling horizontally across the surface of the water... in which case you are interested in the horizontal component of the tension.

The question is asking you about the movement of the knot which is at a fixed distance along the rope... the wave is travelling left to right and initially at time=0 the knot is at position A
    ... after some small time interval the wave will have moved to the position shown in red and the knot will be at the position marked B
    after another small time interval the wave will have moved to the position shown in orange and the knot will be at position C
    after another small time interval the wave will have moved to the position shown in green and the knot will be at position D

Name:  wave progress.png
Views: 34
Size:  48.7 KB
    Thankyou so much for helping me out But do you know on question 5a) why you have to draw the diffraction pattern as it would be on a screen rather than drawing a 'ray diagram' showing the different orders?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedSchoolDreams)
    Thankyou so much for helping me out But do you know on question 5a) why you have to draw the diffraction pattern as it would be on a screen rather than drawing a 'ray diagram' showing the different orders?
    Have you looked at the markscheme?
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JAN12.PDF

probably you've got the 3 marks but you could perhaps have made it clearer that the both angles are equal.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.