The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Not doing well in this module

Hi everyone

I have got a credit transfer for doing my honours year in Natural Sciences (Chemistry) and I have just returned to study after a number of years out of studying and my marks haven't been great. My weakest field is physical chemistry and I failed my TMA in it. I just feel my chemistry mojo hasn't really got started, I also am doing a new module (S315).

I have an assignment for thursday to hand in. I've just lost the will to carry on when:

1. Tutor feedback has it in a way that I am meant to look at equation 1.2 in section 3. I would like to have a bit more help in my weakest branch of chemistry. (My worst marks have been in physical chemistry all through studying.).

2. I have lost the get up and go for doing the assignment. I feel defeated and incredibly thick. :frown:
Original post by NeuroJanine
Hi everyone

I have got a credit transfer for doing my honours year in Natural Sciences (Chemistry) and I have just returned to study after a number of years out of studying and my marks haven't been great. My weakest field is physical chemistry and I failed my TMA in it. I just feel my chemistry mojo hasn't really got started, I also am doing a new module (S315).

I have an assignment for thursday to hand in. I've just lost the will to carry on when:

1. Tutor feedback has it in a way that I am meant to look at equation 1.2 in section 3. I would like to have a bit more help in my weakest branch of chemistry. (My worst marks have been in physical chemistry all through studying.).

2. I have lost the get up and go for doing the assignment. I feel defeated and incredibly thick. :frown:

Have you spoke to your tutor and fully explained why and where you are struggling?

Also have you tried finding other materials on those topics (Videos, books, revision websites etc..) as sometimes things are explained in different ways or using different pictures or words to get a point across and sometimes a different explanation is all it takes for it to click.

All is not lost just speak to your tutor and your SST ASAP as they will be able to advise.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
It can be tough when you feel like that, especially with a 60-pointer. If you think you will regain some oomph in the next couple of weeks try and get an extension. If not, you have further options like deferral/switching/ditching. These diminish/get more expensive with time so it might be worth finding out from SST what the situation is.

It's best to just find out your options, consider them all and try to pick the best one for you. Hope you feel better whatever you decide. The last time I felt like that (and zeroed a TMA) I switched subjects completely and it worked out pretty well. Others have come back from way behind/down to get what they wanted.
Original post by NeuroJanine

Hi,
How you holding up? :smile:
Got a great group of people who support each other. I have loads of maths books in the house and my tutor knows that about my weakness.

Quick Reply

Latest