The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
nope - churchill was built in the "trendy" 20th century, when all things chique were council flats! Churchill is essentially a load of boxes, lacking in aesthetic beauty. Although it has some charms to it (some fountain or other i've heard about) - so pop in there if you want, it might be what you're after! But if you want old-style charm, you'll have to stay in the city centre!
Reply 2
For some reason, its architecture (from the prospectus photo) reminds me of The Barbican - except Churchill looks dingy rather than chic.
Reply 3
Willa
nope - churchill was built in the "trendy" 20th century, when all things chique were council flats! Churchill is essentially a load of boxes, lacking in aesthetic beauty. Although it has some charms to it (some fountain or other i've heard about) - so pop in there if you want, it might be what you're after! But if you want old-style charm, you'll have to stay in the city centre!

*chic* :wink:
Reply 4
Willa
Churchill is essentially a load of boxes, lacking in aesthetic beauty. !

Hee hee hee.

What's your opinion of the University Library. The chap who interviewed me called it Stalinesque ( and he would know, he's .... Ukranian I think ).
Reply 5
i have one word for the uni library: BIG

perhaps so BIG that it's in stalineques proportions?
Reply 6
Willa
i have one word for the uni library: BIG

perhaps so BIG that it's in stalineques proportions?

I think he meant big, concrete and box-like.

Ever been to Berlin. You can get a great feel of the contrast in the areas of East Berlin where the major soviet buildings were. Very... uh... functional.
churchill looks EXACTLY like a big version of our 70s science block at our school!

Ugh!

rosie

Ps. We have loads of problems with the roof leaking in our school too - no one seeme d to twig that flat roofs dont work well with british weather - i wonder if Churchill have the same probelsm?
Reply 8
crana
churchill looks EXACTLY like a big version of our 70s science block at our school!

Ugh!

rosie

Ps. We have loads of problems with the roof leaking in our school too - no one seeme d to twig that flat roofs dont work well with british weather - i wonder if Churchill have the same probelsm?

"In Britain roof leaks water, but in soviet Russia roof leaks military secrets."
Faboba
"In Britain roof leaks water, but in soviet Russia roof leaks military secrets."

and presumably also water.

by the way, isnt the campaign for scottish highers subforum in your sig a bit unnecessary now we have one? :smile:

rosie
Reply 10
Faboba
Hee hee hee.

What's your opinion of the University Library. The chap who interviewed me called it Stalinesque ( and he would know, he's .... Ukranian I think ).

I lived in front of it for the last year, and went in it precisely once :biggrin: It's huge and dark and scary.
Reply 11
crana
and presumably also water.

by the way, isnt the campaign for scottish highers subforum in your sig a bit unnecessary now we have one? :smile:

rosie

Yes, yes it is.

( I don't see why we don't have a Glasgow one. So what if there are no Glasgow students...it's the principle of the thing! Why do fearsome fifers / loathsome lothians get all the breaks? )

I'll change it when I think of something worthwhile I can put as russet.
Reply 12
Helenia
I lived in front of it for the last year, and went in it precisely once :biggrin: It's huge and dark and scary.

Like a quintessential Russian novel?
Prospectus picture aren't a fair reflection of the architecture of the colleges - They only show the good parts. :rolleyes:
Faboba
Yes, yes it is.

( I don't see why we don't have a Glasgow one. So what if there are no Glasgow students...it's the principle of the thing! Why do fearsome fifers / loathsome lothians get all the breaks? )

I'll change it when I think of something worthwhile I can put as russet.

Well, dammit , I want a subforum for students just from my town! (although i don't think many people would be able to answer the questions on hair & beauty - academic post 16 education is not big here!)

No, actually, I want my own subforum JUST FOR ME. To talk to myself :smile:

d, snap to it!
BazTheMoney
Prospectus picture aren't a fair reflection of the architecture of the colleges - They only show the good parts. :rolleyes:

however, when you are from mansfield, even Churchill is beautiful.

rosie
Reply 16
crana
Well, dammit , I want a subforum for students just from my town! (although i don't think many people would be able to answer the questions on hair & beauty - academic post 16 education is not big here!)

No, actually, I want my own subforum JUST FOR ME. To talk to myself :smile:

d, snap to it!

Two birds, one stone.
Reply 17
BazTheMoney

Yeah, but you wouldn't expect them to show a picture of their filthiest toilet. :smile:
Reply 18
Faboba
Like a quintessential Russian novel?

Considering my knowledge of Russian literature gets as far as "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich," I wouldn't really know, but yes, you could say it gives that impression.

Baz is right about the photos of the colleges - John's may have a fairy castle, but it also has the Cripps building. Trinity has Burrell's Field. We have the Colony. You can't win them all :rolleyes:
Squishy
Yeah, but you wouldn't expect them to show a picture of their filthiest toilet. :smile:

True. But it isn't worth taking into account... Every college has their shithole, like every (well, most...) college has their outstanding features.

Latest

Trending

Trending