The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
crana
however, when you are from mansfield, even Churchill is beautiful.

rosie

too true....i feel fortuanate cos ive only lived here for about 2 years.....(its not as bad as a desert war-zone mind you)
visesh
too true....i feel fortuanate cos ive only lived here for about 2 years.....(its not as bad as a desert war-zone mind you)

At least a desert war zone is warm :wink:
Reply 22
crana
At least a desert war zone is warm :wink:

i suppose....but looking back, it was only "hot" (40 deg+) for 2 months a year. the rest of it was a pleasant 20ish. im kinda glad im here now though.....been there during 2/3 wars, and my dad was nearly shot there about a month ago :frown:
Reply 23
which desert war zone is this?
Helenia
We have the Colony.

Haha, is that where they send the Unwomen to? :wink:
Reply 25
mobbdeeprob
Haha, is that where they send the Unwomen to? :wink:

Unwomen? Don't get it :confused:

However, it's where I'll be living next year, so go easy on the place!
Helenia
Unwomen? Don't get it :confused:

However, it's where I'll be living next year, so go easy on the place!

Please ignore me, for I've been brainwashed by Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale for my English lit exam. If it wasn't the most plodding and overrated book that I've ever read - I'd probably recommend it to you. :biggrin:
Reply 27
mobbdeeprob
Please ignore me, for I've been brainwashed by Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale for my English lit exam. If it wasn't the most plodding and overrated book that I've ever read - I'd probably recommend it to you. :biggrin:

Though I don't do Eng A-level in any form, I think I actually know what you're on about. Quite proud of that, really.

Mind you, with women like Helenia about the place, I suspect that Handmaid's Tale scenario is more than a little unlikely.
Reply 28
mobbdeeprob

Oh, I think I read that in year 9. I obviously don't remember it that well :redface:
Faboba
Hee hee hee.

What's your opinion of the University Library. The chap who interviewed me called it Stalinesque ( and he would know, he's .... Ukranian I think ).

UL = Ministry of Love. But it has lots and lots of lovely books (it's copyright deposit so you're unlikely to need anything you can't find there). Even if you can't take 'em out in the first or second year *scowl*. It's also quite a good place to work, if a little scary and easy to get lost in.
Reply 30
OI! Enough badmouthing of Churchill!

For some reason those studying architecture think it's the best college. But we do have some good artwork.

Whilst the architecture isn't fantastic there are a number of benefits. It's quite close to the town center for an outer college and very very close to the University Library (beaten only by Clare and Robinson). It's also close to the Sidgwick site too. Takes about 7-10 mins cycle ride to get to the town centre.

Also there's a back path into town - avoiding all the main roads.

Also, the best bit is, you live on site for your entire course and everyone else does - making for a really good atmosphere. Plus we have massive playing fields - good for the sporty types and those who like to lounge around in the summer.

It's definitely the best outer college and its applicant rate for arts subjects is fairly low although there is competition for maths and computer science because it's a very sciency college and right next door to that big maths place which everyone has to use in their 3rd and 4th year.

Paddy
mobbdeeprob

I heard the dramatised version on the radio and got the book asap, I was absolutely gripped!

however doing abook for an exam does tend to kill it!

at least i learnt a new word from it. Palimpest (if i spelt that right! it was a while ago). How useful:smile:
crana
I heard the dramatised version on the radio and got the book asap, I was absolutely gripped!

however doing abook for an exam does tend to kill it!

at least i learnt a new word from it. Palimpest (if i spelt that right! it was a while ago). How useful:smile:

It was absolute drudgery having to study it for the AS-level! I found the outside context much more difficult to understand than Elizabethan Britain for the drama text and it just didn't seem all that eventful to me! Of the distopic novelists that I've read - I much prefer Orwell and Huxley to Atwood. Ah well, at least I remembered my quotes for the dreaded closed-book exam. :smile: Of the two examined texts for my AS-level - Dr. Faustus was easily the better, it is a great play! I really want to see it performed at the theatre.
mobbdeeprob
It was absolute drudgery having to study it for the AS-level! I found the outside context much more difficult to understand than Elizabethan Britain for the drama text and it just didn't seem all that eventful to me! Of the distopic novelists that I've read - I much prefer Orwell and Huxley to Atwood. Ah well, at least I remembered my quotes for the dreaded closed-book exam. :smile: Of the two examined texts for my AS-level - Dr. Faustus was easily the better, it is a great play! I really want to see it performed at the theatre.

yeah, I can imagine it was pretty bad to study. I did enjoy it as the story though:smile:
Reply 34
Back to the original question....I think prospectus photos can be misleading: why don't u get urself on an open day and find out what the colleges are really like? They all have their pros and cons!!
Reply 35
priya
which desert war zone is this?

errm....well its been in the news quite recently....something to do with hostages etc etc- my dad lives about 20 yards from 'that' place
Reply 36
happypad
It's quite close to the town center for an outer college and very very close to the University Library (beaten only by Clare and Robinson). It's also close to the Sidgwick site too.

It is also beaten by Selwyn, Newnham, Trinity Hall and most of Trinity in tems of proximity to the UL (not to mention the Wolfson Court part of Girton). Still, it is very convenient for arts students as colleges go. And the rooms are well-heated, which is more than some colleges can say.
Reply 37
mobbdeeprob
Please ignore me, for I've been brainwashed by Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale for my English lit exam.

As I remember it is a rather poor and obvious reworking of ideas better expressed in 1984.
ASNaC
As I remember it is a rather poor and obvious reworking of ideas better expressed in 1984.

Yes! That it is what i was trying to say in a very coded way:biggrin: , yet for some reason, a lot of sensible people seem to go orgasmic at the mere mention of Atwood - THT is not that great at all. Didn't the fleeting mentions of Compucheks, Compucounts, Compu<any random device> really annoy you?

THT has none of the atmosphere of 1984, the narrative moves from place to place as though it is on speed and I felt little empathy for Offred.
Allegories aside, 1984 is a bloody good story in its own right - THT isn't. Who cares whether THT is a post-structuralist masterpiece? It was a crap read.
mobbdeeprob
Yes! That it is what i was trying to say in a very coded way:biggrin: , yet for some reason, a lot of sensible people seem to go orgasmic at the mere mention of Atwood - THT is not that great at all. Didn't the fleeting mentions of Compucheks, Compucounts, Compu<any random device> really annoy you?

THT has none of the atmosphere of 1984, the narrative moves from place to place as though it is on speed and I felt little empathy for Offred.
Allegories aside, 1984 is a bloody good story in its own right - THT isn't. Who cares whether THT is a post-structuralist masterpiece? It was a crap read.

:eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending