Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not sure how to help my cousin who has no GCSE's and no job and he's almost 27 watch

Hi,

So my cousin has went to a special school for most of his life.

This is basically what he did, he did sit his GCSE'S, however he stayed back at his school for an additional three years after year 11 (up until 2008) years to retake I think and he still did not get a C.

His done a lot of volunteer work in childcare, however, despite this he is unable to find a position in childcare.

I'm not sure how to help him, the only thing I can say is do a degree via the OU, work hard and then get a job.

I'm going into the programming field and I told his to learn programming plenty of times however he does not take action.

So what are your advice and suggestions? although he is doing nothing this year education wise and is looking for work.

This is his education summary so far:

CACHE Diploma Level 3 Childcare College September 2013- July 2015 NVQ Level 3 Diploma in I.T Campus September 2012 -July 2013 Math/English level 1 Learning July 2012- September 2013 NVQ Level 2 Diploma I.T College September 2011- July 2012 Adult Literacy/ Numeracy Level 1 College September 2011- July 2012 NVQ Childcare Level 1/2 College September 2009- July 2011 Health and Social Care Entry Level 3 College September 2008- July

Anyone please? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What are his strengths? I.e. Writing, Maths, Communication, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Start a business?
    Child minding?

He has a lot of voluntary work experience in Nursery settings, he is has the capability to work hard, stay committed, he is good at IT, capable of making good posters and leaflets.

ReputationRep:
    Okay. Depending on how much free time he has, it might be worth him trying to get onto an IT course or doing some design work for an IT company. From what you've said, he could potentially access childminding, IT and/or Design.

What you've said is he's done a lot of volunteer work in childcare, but how did that experience go? What skills did he pick up? Was he good at that job or motivated, or was he there because he basically got pushed into it?

I'd recommend him searching other fields. If he wants a career with children he should work towards that while doing another job so he's earning money and getting himself a decent reputation and skills.

Tell him to make a portfolio of some of the work he's done and approach some IT and Design companies with it. If he doesn't have material for a portfolio get him started on it, tell him to pick up a few projects that might interest others. He can also go to careers advisors for suggestions.

Also if he approaches people who are already in the fields, prove himself to them and get them to vouch for him during other applications (especially if he's applying for the same company), that would give him an advantage over other jobseekers, especially if they're in a position to call in favours to other employers.

Vennec thank you for your advice and suggestions.

He has a lot of spare time available.

He was good at the job were he has done a lot of voluntary work experience, he was encouraging children, preparing snacks, supervising during play time, setting up play activities. He learnt some soft skills such as communication, taking the initiative, team work with other teachers.

I will tell him to make a portfolio of some of the work he's done and help him get started on it and advise him on a few projects that might interest others and also think of projects he could do.

I'll also him him network, going to events, researching people who are in the field or researching events he could go to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Vennec thank you for your advice and suggestions.

He has a lot of spare time available.

He was good at the job were he has done a lot of voluntary work experience, he was encouraging children, preparing snacks, supervising during play time, setting up play activities. He learnt some soft skills such as communication, taking the initiative, team work with other teachers.

I will tell him to make a portfolio of some of the work he's done and help him get started on it and advise him on a few projects that might interest others and also think of projects he could do.

I'll also him him network, going to events, researching people who are in the field or researching events he could go to.
    No problem! I do love a bit of personal development.

For the portfolio -- if he needs new material you'll need to find a balance between value and entertainment. If he enjoys the project he's working on then he'll be inclined to work more passionately, but also you need him to pick up on as many valuable skills as possible. These two things may not always coincide. He may need to make a few sacrifices and work on something that might be a bit dull if it will ultimately be more rewarding. There are also different angles to look at on subjects that can completely change your perspective on a subject, so you can become passionate in an area you thought was initially boring.

Absolutely get him networking. If he can make a few contacts that'll help immensely. There may be local projects going on too so get him on a few of those.

As an afterthought, does he have a Paediatric First Aid qualification? Paediatric First Aid is basically First Aid for people who look after children. It does cost a lot (£130 if done with Red Cross -- click book course on the aforementioned link to see the cost) but the qualification is valid for three years (at which point he'll need to take a refresher course), is up to date and employers in the childcare field will definitely find this attractive.

He can revise in advance by downloading the free apps onto his phone, which will give him a bit more time to prepare (To find the apps, look on the right-hand side at the downloadable brochure. Page 15. Make sure to find the children's app as the regular one is for adults.)

ReputationRep:
    could he not start up his own business and employ others, therefore not having to pass any interviews or show his cv to anyone, it could be for babysitting or childminding, or if you live close to a gym or cinema, you could advertise there as a sort of crèche, so while adults are watching a film, they could leave there kids there and get payed by the hour, as films usually last almost 2 hours. hope this has helped. x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.