Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    American university in DC offered me a scholarship and a place in their honours programme.. but the school itself is simply not as prestigious as Kings. I am studying international relations and I am Lebanese-American. What do you think?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    What do you want to do? Users on here can tell you why but ultimately its your choice.

ReputationRep:
    Real question is could you cope with Trump if he's elected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    What do you want to do? Users on here can tell you why but ultimately its your choice.
    I am interested in starting a business eventually, but I want an undergrad that allows me some room to diversify if I want. I'm thinking that being unsure is probably a better idea in the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sugarpuffx)
    Real question is could you cope with Trump if he's elected
    .. Being Arab-American under Trump would not be fun

ReputationRep:
    I would go with the scholarship
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by yasminathomure)
    I am interested in starting a business eventually, but I want an undergrad that allows me some room to diversify if I want. I'm thinking that being unsure is probably a better idea in the US.
    On one hand, you can get everything paid for and explore a new country, the other is shelling out loads of money and being in one of the most expensive places to study but live in a familiar territory. I would say go abroad but only if you are committed and can be independent.

ReputationRep:
    Ask this on College Confidential as well. You may get some bias towards KCL on here

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should look at how prestige a university is when selecting. I think for a more diverse and liberal education, choose the US but for a more focused on one subject education, it's the UK.
    I had to make a decision of Harvard vs Oxford and I'm picking Harvard because of their liberal system and because they actually care about students- unlike Oxford (well, from what I have experienced by visiting both).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normal.Person)
    I don't think you should look at how prestige a university is when selecting. I think for a more diverse and liberal education, choose the US but for a more focused on one subject education, it's the UK.
    I had to make a decision of Harvard vs Oxford and I'm picking Harvard because of their liberal system and because they actually care about students- unlike Oxford (well, from what I have experienced by visiting both).
    Wow... thats a great position to be in. Congrats! Boston is a great place to be a university student. I'd have to agree, I really do like the US system. I've been in a British school for the past four years and while I think the British system is harder, I don't think it's better. The wiggle room for transferring and the general freedom of studies in American is nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normal.Person)
    I guess from your post it's coincidental, but I'd argue they're just as prestigious as each other, if not Harvard having slightly more

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Wish you the best of luck with whatever you end up doing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasminathomure)
    American university in DC offered me a scholarship and a place in their honours programme.. but the school itself is simply not as prestigious as Kings. I am studying international relations and I am Lebanese-American. What do you think?
    Hey there! I was in a similar position as you. Then after weighing the options these were my reasons for committing to KCL:
    - Less money for tuition. Even with a decent scholarship KCL comes out less
    - three years instead of four
    - london is a hub for International Relations (so is D.C. but London is more international for my taste)
    - Like you said, prestige! King's is top 20

Ultimately it is your choice so weigh your options carefully...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.