Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi i need some help.i have come from abroad and im going to do an access course for which i need a B in maths.. i looked on the exam timetable and saw many maths.im confused.which maths do i need?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sal-666)
    hi i need some help.i have come from abroad and im going to do an access course for which i need a B in maths.. i looked on the exam timetable and saw many maths.im confused.which maths do i need?
    Probably a B in GCSE Maths. There are several different exam boards which offer GCSE maths. They are all fairly similar but the most popular is this one http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...cs-a-2010.html
    The exams are available in the summer or the Autumn. The main entry deadline is past for the summer but you can enter at double fees at any exam centre (a secondary school or college) willing to accept you. The prices go up again in mid April so get a move on. The Autumn entry deadline is 4 October.

You can find more about being a private candidate at http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...cel-exams.html

ReputationRep:
    what about AQA???
    (Original post by Compost)
    Probably a B in GCSE Maths. There are several different exam boards which offer GCSE maths. They are all fairly similar but the most popular is this one http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...cs-a-2010.html
    The exams are available in the summer or the Autumn. The main entry deadline is past for the summer but you can enter at double fees at any exam centre (a secondary school or college) willing to accept you. The prices go up again in mid April so get a move on. The Autumn entry deadline is 4 October.

You can find more about being a private candidate at http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...cel-exams.html

ReputationRep:
    what about AQA???
    AQA is also popular and either would be fine. Same rules and deadlines apply to both.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i am going to register for the maths 4360 but when i look at the timetable it shows many parts of it..im totally confused as to how many i have t give and what.sorry but it was different where i would live so im not so familiar with this.
    AQA is also popular and either would be fine. Same rules and deadlines apply to both.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i am going to register for the maths 4360 but when i look at the timetable it shows many parts of it..im totally confused as to how many i have t give and what.sorry but it was different where i would live so im not so familiar with this.
    You can opt to take Foundation (F) or Higher (H) tier. To get a B you need to go for Higher tier. You will then take the 3 Higher tier exams. This specification is a bit of a hangover from a previous system, I'd go for AQA Maths 4365 instead (2 Higher tier exams) unless you have a good reason to stick with 4360.

ReputationRep:
    and what is the difference between 4365 and 4360?
    You can opt to take Foundation (F) or Higher (H) tier. To get a B you need to go for Higher tier. You will then take the 3 Higher tier exams. This specification is a bit of a hangover from a previous system, I'd go for AQA Maths 4365 instead (2 Higher tier exams) unless you have a good reason to stick with 4360.

ReputationRep:
    and what is the difference between 4365 and 4360?
    None (I think) in terms of content. 4360 was developed as a modular specification with the idea that you took the 3 different exams in different exam seasons as you learnt the content but the government decided that a GCSE had to be done in a single exam season and abolished modular GCSEs. I suppose 4360 does split the content up so you can do more focused revision just before the exam whereas 4365 just has a Calculator paper and a non-calculator paper. However, for a private candidates have just 2 exams is normally better.

ReputationRep:
    so for me right now as a private candidate and to get on to the access course which one do you think would be suitable?
    None (I think) in terms of content. 4360 was developed as a modular specification with the idea that you took the 3 different exams in different exam seasons as you learnt the content but the government decided that a GCSE had to be done in a single exam season and abolished modular GCSEs. I suppose 4360 does split the content up so you can do more focused revision just before the exam whereas 4365 just has a Calculator paper and a non-calculator paper. However, for a private candidates have just 2 exams is normally better.

ReputationRep:
    so for me right now as a private candidate and to get on to the access course which one do you think would be suitable?
    Entirely your preference. In terms of content there really is very little difference between AQA or Edexcel, linear or pseudo-modular. The best one to pick probably comes down to what the entering centre would prefer you to do (which will be what their centre candidates are doing) or which dates for the exams themselves suit you better. (Timetables are on the exam board websites http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/t_...GCSE-JUN16.PDF).

ReputationRep:
    thank u very much for your help.
    Entirely your preference. In terms of content there really is very little difference between AQA or Edexcel, linear or pseudo-modular. The best one to pick probably comes down to what the entering centre would prefer you to do (which will be what their centre candidates are doing) or which dates for the exams themselves suit you better. (Timetables are on the exam board websites http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/t_...GCSE-JUN16.PDF).

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.