The Student Room Group

M2 Statics help please

Hi, can someone help me with drawing the diagram and labeling the forces for this question? I not too sure which way friction acts. Here is the question from the edexcel January 2007 paper and my diagram:
image1.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Glavien
Hi, can someone help me with drawing the diagram and labeling the forces for this question? I not too sure which way friction acts. Here is the question from the edexcel January 2007 paper and my diagram:
image1.jpg

You have an extra force, your Rv. The rod is not hinged to the wall, so there is no vertical part of the reaction, just the normal reaction, your Rh.

With regards friction, which way do you think the end of the rod is likely to slip?

(Yes, downwards, so the friction is trying to prevent sliding, so acts upwards).
Reply 2
Original post by tiny hobbit
You have an extra force, your Rv. The rod is not hinged to the wall, so there is no vertical part of the reaction, just the normal reaction, your Rh.

With regards friction, which way do you think the end of the rod is likely to slip?

(Yes, downwards, so the friction is trying to prevent sliding, so acts upwards).

Ahh, yes i got the first bit, thank you!

Just to clarify, with regards to friction, will it act upwards as the rod will try to slip in an anticlockwise direction about B.
Reply 3
Original post by Glavien

Just to clarify, with regards to friction, will it act upwards as the rod will try to slip in an anticlockwise direction about B.

Yep.
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
Yep.

Thanks man, much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest