GCSE CHEMISTRY: Endothermic Reaction Help Watch

Lavender3002
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I understand that in endothermic reactions energy is taken in from the surroundings, and that the products have more energy than the reactants. As energy is taken in, I would therefore expect there to be an increase in temperature of the mixture. Therefore, why, in endothermic reactions like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPJsHM6dsQ, does the temperature decrease? I would really appreciative a good explanation as I always get this confused. Thank you in advance.
ProbablyJade
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...ngesrev1.shtml

It explains it really well here with an animation
sfaraj
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the temperate of the surrounding decreases right??
ProbablyJade
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sfaraj)
Yes, because energy is taken in the energy of the surroundings decreases, have you got onto endothermic calculations yet? That has a positive or negative answer relating to the type of reaction
Lavender3002
Rep:
?
Yeah you're right the surroundings' temperature decreases. I understand this as energy is taken in from them. What I don't understand is how the temperature of the mixture decreases if it gains energy?
sfaraj
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lavender3002)
Yeah you're right the surroundings' temperature decreases. I understand this as energy is taken in from them. What I don't understand is how the temperature of the mixture decreases if it gains energy?

did the website or video or whatever say that the mixture decreases???
sfaraj
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ProbablyJade)
Yes, because energy is taken in the energy of the surroundings decreases, have you got onto endothermic calculations yet? That has a positive or negative answer relating to the type of reaction
what do you mean by calculations? what board are you doing?
Lavender3002
Rep:
?
did the website or video or whatever say that the mixture decreases???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPJsHM6dsQ, : The temperature probe is in the mixture so the mixture's temperature has decreased.

"The energy is usually transferred as heat energy, causing the reaction mixture and its surroundings to get colder." BBc bitesize says this.
Lavender3002
Rep:
?
Oh I think I might have worked it out: The energy that is taken in goes into the reactants to make bonds, so the temperature of the mixture decreases as the energy is used up by the reactants, which is why the products have more energy. This would make sense as in exothermic reactions energy is released to break bonds, and this energy heats the mixture and the surroundings.
RMNDK
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What endothermic and exothermic describe is the flow of heat transfer.

If something is exothermic, it means that heat is transfering from the inside to the outside.
That's why something will feel hot if you touch it, because all that heat is being applied to your receptors on your hand, or whatever instrument you use.

If something is endothermic, it means the heat is transfering from the outside to the inside.
That's why something will feel cold if you touch it, because it's drawing the heat away from your hand, or instrument.

The actual substance itself is going to be cold (exothermic) or hot (endothermic).
You're right that if a substance is absorbing energy, it should feel hotter, but the temperature measured is the transfer of heat energy from the medium we use to measure, whether it'd be our hand or a temperature.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1582)
79.3%
Leave (413)
20.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise