Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Deadlift working weight is only slightly more than my back squat. (Tend to work in the 3-6 range for these lifts). Is this unusual?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Depends on your form, leverages, programming, strength level, commitment etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Depends on your form, leverages, programming, strength level, commitment etc
    I'm quite tall and don't have great grip strength, think it's probably that. Also can push myself more on squats than deads as I don't want to snap my back up, or is that preventable through 'good form'?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TheFarmerLad)
    I'm quite tall and don't have great grip strength, think it's probably that. Also can push myself more on squats than deads as I don't want to snap my back up, or is that preventable through 'good form'?
    Do you use chalk or straps?
    Your more likely to snap your back up squatting if there is a difference in likelyhood. Your form is off if you feel deadlifts on in your back for that matter.

What is your squat vs deadlift?

ReputationRep:
    Your more likely to snap your back up squatting if there is a difference in likelyhood. Your form is off if you feel deadlifts on in your back for that matter.

I sometimes use straps but usually just go raw.
    Yeh deadlift form is hard to maintain when going heavy. Are you saying that you should feel it more in your glutes/hams?

185 x 5 squat
    193 x 5 deadlift
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    I sometimes use straps but usually just go raw.
    Yeh deadlift form is hard to maintain when going heavy. Are you saying that you should feel it more in your glutes/hams?

185 x 5 squat
    193 x 5 deadlift
    There's your problem. Spend a 5er and buy some liquid chalk. Chalk is raw, without it your limited by the moisture on your hands, not your grip strength

And glutes and hams should be felt when deadlifting along with your entire back. Using chalk will make your form better as you'll not be failing on your grip.

If you use chalk, use a mixed grip or hook grip. Double overhand is much weaker

ReputationRep:
    There's your problem. Spend a 5er and buy some liquid chalk. Chalk is raw, without it your limited by the moisture on your hands, not your grip strength

And glutes and hams should be felt when deadlifting along with your entire back. Using chalk will make your form better as you'll not be failing on your grip.

If you use chalk, use a mixed grip or hook grip. Double overhand is much weaker
    Ah okay. Not sure if the gym owner would be too happy if there's chalk all over his barbell though!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Ah okay. Not sure if the gym owner would be too happy if there's chalk all over his barbell though!
    I've never had a problem with liquid chalk and gym owners. If they get funny, use straps (but do double overhand when using them)

ReputationRep:

Why? Lower back plays a significant (isometric) role in the deadlift, I feel DOMS there quite regularly.

This stuff is great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Why? Lower back plays a significant (isometric) role in the deadlift, I feel DOMS there quite regularly.

This stuff is great.
    Cheers for that link mate, and sorry for this late response!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)

This stuff is great.
    There is a difference between "feeling it in your lower back" while actually deadlifting and getting DOMS/pump/fatigue.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.