Gravitational Field Strength - Need help please Watch

1017bsquad
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The gravitational field strength at the surface of the Earth is 6 times its value at the surface of the Moon. The mean density of the Moon is 0.6 times the mean density of the Earth.

Q. What is the value of the ratio (radius of Earth/radius of Moon)?

The correct answer is 3.6, however I do not know how to approach this question and require assistance.
phyzard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My advice for approaching this question would be to first write down the equations for the density of the earth and moon, and also the gravitational field strength formula. From there you can solve use the information you are given to form two equations (one equation relating the densities, and one equation relating the gravitational field strengths). There are many routes from here to solving this problem, but I would suggest rearranging one of them for radius_earth/radius_moon and then solving the two equations as if they were simultaneous equations.

Give it a go, with this approach and see if you get the right answer. If you need anything else, let me know
1017bsquad
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by phyzard)
My advice for approaching this question would be to first write down the equations for the density of the earth and moon, and also the gravitational field strength formula. From there you can solve use the information you are given to form two equations (one equation relating the densities, and one equation relating the gravitational field strengths). There are many routes from here to solving this problem, but I would suggest rearranging one of them for radius_earth/radius_moon and then solving the two equations as if they were simultaneous equations.

Give it a go, with this approach and see if you get the right answer. If you need anything else, let me know
Alright, thanks for the response! I'll give it another go. Appreciate it though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (553)
80.61%
Leave (133)
19.39%

Watched Threads