Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

This is my first post! Hoping you can help with something.

I graduated in 2012 with a history degree. I've been pretty successful since then - but I am thinking about a career change to law. It is something that has always appealed to me, but has been difficult due to money concerns, supporting my partner through uni etc. He graduates next year - so it would be the perfect time for me to go and do my law conversion. it's a tricky decision, because I know I will be taking a big pay cut even after I qualify initially (if I ever manage to!!) and obviously it's really tough and competitive to get a training contract - but I think I will always regret it if I don't at least try.

I was looking at training contracts and am a bit confused about when I should apply for one. I see that currently firms are taking applications mainly for 2018. When they say 2018, do they count that as when you start your LPC, or are they expecting you to have done your LPC before that and therefore officially start your training contract with them in 2018?

I hope that makes sense! I aim to do my law conversion in sept 2017, followed by LPC straight after that in 2018 - so should I be applying now?

Apologies if this all seems very basic to you, and thank you all in advance
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by westldngirl)
    Hi all,

This is my first post! Hoping you can help with something.

I graduated in 2012 with a history degree. I've been pretty successful since then - but I am thinking about a career change to law. It is something that has always appealed to me, but has been difficult due to money concerns, supporting my partner through uni etc. He graduates next year - so it would be the perfect time for me to go and do my law conversion. it's a tricky decision, because I know I will be taking a big pay cut even after I qualify initially (if I ever manage to!!) and obviously it's really tough and competitive to get a training contract - but I think I will always regret it if I don't at least try.

I was looking at training contracts and am a bit confused about when I should apply for one. I see that currently firms are taking applications mainly for 2018. When they say 2018, do they count that as when you start your LPC, or are they expecting you to have done your LPC before that and therefore officially start your training contract with them in 2018?

I hope that makes sense! I aim to do my law conversion in sept 2017, followed by LPC straight after that in 2018 - so should I be applying now?

Apologies if this all seems very basic to you, and thank you all in advance
    1. The date is for when they expect you to be starting the TC i.e after LPC and GDL. If you get the right firm they will pay for both.

2.From what you say above you should be applying for the 2019 intake or later as thats when you will be ready to commence a TC.
    http://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/CareerPath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    1. The date is for when they expect you to be starting the TC i.e after LPC and GDL. If you get the right firm they will pay for both.

2.From what you say above you should be applying for the 2019 intake or later as thats when you will be ready to commence a TC.
    http://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/CareerPath
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Do you mind if I ask what uni you graduated from and what class of honours you obtained?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.