Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I want to finish my degree watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is my first post so not sure if I'm in the correct forum.

A couple of years ago I finished my degree, but I really messed up my final assignments and got the dates wrong for the deadlines and it was a full week later I realised what had happened and it meant I missed out on even a 2.2 for my degree.
    Through embarrassment i haven't enquired about any options i might have had. I've put my head in the sand and got a job and that's been it ever since. I'm just wondering now if there's anything i can do to go back and attempt to get a 2.1 in my degree in order to apply for graduate jobs?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You might be surprised the masters programmes you can get into if you explain this in your supporting statement so you can up your career prospects and achieve what you didn't do last time.

It's moving forward instead of trying to correct the past.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what the options would be in honesty.
    You could plead with the university, and see what they say. But it sounds like your hands are a bit tied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark1202)

A couple of years ago I finished my degree, but I really messed up my final assignments and got the dates wrong for the deadlines and it was a full week later I realised what had happened and it meant I missed out on even a 2.2 for my degree.
    Through embarrassment i haven't enquired about any options i might have had. I've put my head in the sand and got a job and that's been it ever since. I'm just wondering now if there's anything i can do to go back and attempt to get a 2.1 in my degree in order to apply for graduate jobs?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Afraid at university unless you either fail completely or have extenuating circumstances you can't generally retake.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Mark1202)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    (Original post by post-grad-u-ate)
    You might be surprised the masters programmes you can get into if you explain this in your supporting statement so you can up your career prospects and achieve what you didn't do last time.

It's moving forward instead of trying to correct the past.
    Yep, the Masters route is the best option.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know you might be able to do the last year of your degree with the Open University or somewhere after all you have the credits of your previous years. But moving on is probably the best option.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I think its a no as it was your own fault, even if it was a mistake. they dont allow resits for such things. As said above masters or do something like an OU degree again.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    From memory I think you should be able to transfer all your 1st and 2nd year credit into an Open University degree and then do 120 credits at level 3 - this would mean you effectively got another degree but without having to start from the beginning, and I believe your grade would be entirely determined by the OU study. You'd most likely have to self-fund that, because you do already have a degree, so it would cost you about £5,500ish in total to do that, and you could do it over one or two years (two would probably be the more sensible choice as you could do it alongside work). Depending on what subject you studied, you might be able to put your credit towards a named degree (like if, say, you studied English you might be able to transfer it towards a BA (Hons) English); but you should be able to put pretty much any study towards an Open Degree. There's more info on credit transfer here.

Obviously, depending on what area you studied previously, there might be a greater or smaller number of Level 3 OU modules you'd be interested in/have the relevant background knowledge for. There are a few Level 3 modules that don't have any specific prerequisites or specific areas you need to have studied before, though. If you tell us what subject you were studying before, I can have a look and post links to what modules you might be able to do, if you're interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persipan)
    From memory I think you should be able to transfer all your 1st and 2nd year credit into an Open University degree and then do 120 credits at level 3 - this would mean you effectively got another degree but without having to start from the beginning, and I believe your grade would be entirely determined by the OU study. You'd most likely have to self-fund that, because you do already have a degree, so it would cost you about £5,500ish in total to do that, and you could do it over one or two years (two would probably be the more sensible choice as you could do it alongside work). Depending on what subject you studied, you might be able to put your credit towards a named degree (like if, say, you studied English you might be able to transfer it towards a BA (Hons) English); but you should be able to put pretty much any study towards an Open Degree. There's more info on credit transfer here.

Obviously, depending on what area you studied previously, there might be a greater or smaller number of Level 3 OU modules you'd be interested in/have the relevant background knowledge for. There are a few Level 3 modules that don't have any specific prerequisites or specific areas you need to have studied before, though. If you tell us what subject you were studying before, I can have a look and post links to what modules you might be able to do, if you're interested.
    Thanks very much for your detailed reply. I did study English (brilliant guess by the way) and from looking at the replies on the thread it looks as if my options include OU or applying for a masters. I will have a look at OU courses to see what is available and what Masters courses would be possible.

Thanks a lot for everyone's responses.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Cool! Well, it looks like the Level 3 modules that would be relevant for the OU BA (Hons) English Literature or BA (Hons) English Language and Literature would be Advanced Creative Writing, Children's Literature, English literature from Shakespeare to Austen, Language and creativity or Literature in transition: from 1800 to the present. Each of those are 60 credits so it would mean doing two, but I don't know whether there are specific ones you have to for those degree programmes do or whether it would be a free choice - if you did an Open Degree you could mix and match whichever you fancied, though.

Looking at it, there is also an OU MA in English and they say "To successfully undertake this postgraduate study, you will ideally need to have an undergraduate honours degree in English or a closely related subject. Although your degree need not be in English, you must show some knowledge of the subject, together with the study skills expected of a graduate in this field. You should be aware that a degree of at least 2.1 or equivalent will greatly increase your chances of successfully completing the MA" - so it seems like they don't require a 2:1. Financially, doing a Masters might be a bit easier in the short-term (since there are new postgraduate loans this year, whereas you won't get a loan to do further undergrad study); although bear in mind you'd only get that funding once, so that's worth weighing up too.

Good luck!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.