Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  1459687427892-1339212355.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  219.2 KB hi, for this question, I got an answer of 2s however after checking the markacheme, it is 1/7<t<2 ... It also involves some quadratic equation. I get that the inequality signs are there as the questions asks for time more than 2m. But I only got one answer for this tho. Attachment 518639518641
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Here is the markschme Name:  Screenshot_2016-04-03-13-49-32.png
Views: 80
Size:  109.5 KBthx
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by coconut64)
Size:  219.2 KB hi, for this question, I got an answer of 2s however after checking the markacheme, it is 1/7<t<2 ... It also involves some quadratic equation. I get that the inequality signs are there as the questions asks for time more than 2m. But I only got one answer for this tho. Attachment 518639518641
    The problem with your method is the left hand side - it starts at a height of ... so it is...

ReputationRep:
    You need to work out the two different times the ball is at 2m, and then you should be able to calculate the length of time it is above 2m from that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    The problem with your method is the left hand side - it starts at a height of ... so it is...
    Hi, thanks for helping! I don't really know what you mean by that... The lhs method is to find out how long it takes for the ball to reach Max height. Whats wrong with that? Thx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    You need to work out the two different times the ball is at 2m, and then you should be able to calculate the length of time it is above 2m from that
    This is what the markscheme says as well. However I don't understand why the time taken to reach Max height isn't considered. Also I don't get why the distance is simply 2-0.6. This really confuses me. Thanks.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Hi, thanks for helping! I don't really know what you mean by that... The lhs method is to find out how long it takes for the ball to reach Max height. Whats wrong with that? Thx
    Oh yes, I kind of see what you mean. I guess it is confusing you because you only have 1 answer and t takes a range of values. Your 2s is fine (as you can see) but for the first part of motion it's not always 2m or more above the ground so you need a lower bound for t as well.

ReputationRep:
    This is what the markscheme says as well. However I don't understand why the time taken to reach Max height isn't considered. Also I don't get why the distance is simply 2-0.6. This really confuses me. Thanks.
    2-0.6: what height does the football start off at?

ReputationRep:
    Well if the object starts at 0.6m above the ground, a height of 2m above the ground means that the vertical displacement from the starting point is 2-0.6 =1.4m. This gives you the two values of t where it is at 2m, and we know that it is above 2m for this whole time inbetween those values so can therefore work out how long it is above 2m

ReputationRep:
    When you plugged in the values in the formula. ut is not 0 because the starting velocity is 10.5 m/s. And a is -9.8. S in this case is the distance the ball should go up. If the initial position of the ball is 0.6m above ground and they want the ball to be 2m or more then the ball should travel 1.4m to reach 2m. You used the formula S=1/2gt^2 which is used ONLY for free fall.

ReputationRep:
    You need to subtract the time that it took getting from the starting place up to 2m in the first place. Your method is more complicated than the one in the mark scheme, but it is fine provided that you subtract this early time.

ReputationRep:
    Remember that the mark scheme doesn't show all the possible answers to a question. This question can be solved in a less confusing method. You can find the time it takes the ball to reach height of 2m (S in this case is 1.6m). Then, subtract this time from the time taken to reach maximum height.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    2-0.6: what height does the football start off at?
    I have tried it again and got 13/7 s which I think is right? But this time I didn't get 2s... Name:  1459689776065207341171.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  224.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fadel)
    Remember that the mark scheme doesn't show all the possible answers to a question. This question can be solved in a less confusing method. You can find the time it takes the ball to reach height of 2m (S in this case is 1.6m). Then, subtract this time from the time taken to reach maximum height.
    Thats what I have done (see below). I have worked out 13/7 without using the quadratic equation. However I didn't get 2 or the inequality equation. Does it matter? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thats what I have done (see below). I have worked out 13/7 without using the quadratic equation. However I didn't get 2 or the inequality equation. Does it matter? Thanks.
    Doesn't matter. Question cannot force you to use a method unless they specify to, which never happens in M1. I solved by this method in my mocks and earned the full credit.

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter?
    Nopes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Nopes.
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers.
    Now go reply to your vectors question.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.