Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I'm an international student from India. Did A levels.
    I just got my final offer from UCAS a couple of days ago.
    So these are my successful choices (all unconditional offers).
    Leicester - Bachelor of Laws
    Lancaster - Bachelor of Laws
    Reading - Bachelor of Laws (3 years)
    Kent - Bachelor of Laws and Accounting and Finance (4 years)
    My first choice was Leicester before I got my offer from Kent.
    Now, I'm seriously considering Kent. Is a double degree for another year at Kent better than a single degree from Leicester? Now considering student life, fees etc. Only the teaching standards and graduate prospects.
    Also, is a university like Manchester or Birmingham much better than all these choices? Because I see they still have Extra open.
    I've also gotten an unconditional offer from the University of Sydney for a Bachelor of Law and Commerce (which is 11th in the world for law). So I mean, I can take a risk and reject all my choices, but would you say Kent or Leicester or Lancaster is a very good college? Considering that I'm an international student?
    I'm not considering Reading, because the other 3 are much better.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I assume youve looked at league tables?

The Kent degree looks interesting if you have an aptitude and interest in accounts. It is also enough if you wish to proceed in either profession.
    I cant really say, but if Sydney is a top law school then I would do that.

You should check with your own bar council if the 2 year Kent degree would satisfy their requirements as they might require a 3 year law degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I assume youve looked at league tables?

The Kent degree looks interesting if you have an aptitude and interest in accounts. It is also enough if you wish to proceed in either profession.
    I cant really say, but if Sydney is a top law school then I would do that.

You should check with your own bar council if the 2 year Kent degree would satisfy their requirements as they might require a 3 year law degree.
    I have an interest in finance, not necessarily accounts, but I think I'll find it manageable.
    Sydney is much, much more expensive though, considering that I would have to do a double major for 5 and a half years.
    My bar council actually awards more recognition to the double degree than it does the single degree.
    Either way though, I'd have to work for 1-3 years in the country I studied in for the degree to be recognised, so it's more to do with which is more respected in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkisthefloyd)
    Hey
    I'm an international student from India. Did A levels.
    I just got my final offer from UCAS a couple of days ago.
    So these are my successful choices (all unconditional offers).
    Leicester - Bachelor of Laws
    Lancaster - Bachelor of Laws
    Reading - Bachelor of Laws (3 years)
    Kent - Bachelor of Laws and Accounting and Finance (4 years)
    My first choice was Leicester before I got my offer from Kent.
    Now, I'm seriously considering Kent. Is a double degree for another year at Kent better than a single degree from Leicester? Now considering student life, fees etc. Only the teaching standards and graduate prospects.
    Also, is a university like Manchester or Birmingham much better than all these choices? Because I see they still have Extra open.
    I've also gotten an unconditional offer from the University of Sydney for a Bachelor of Law and Commerce (which is 11th in the world for law). So I mean, I can take a risk and reject all my choices, but would you say Kent or Leicester or Lancaster is a very good college? Considering that I'm an international student?
    I'm not considering Reading, because the other 3 are much better.
    Congratulations with your offer!

Out of your choices, I would probably go with Leicester, since it has a pretty reputable law course. Lancaster isn't bad either, but I wouldn't exactly say it's as good as Leicester.

As for your course at Kent, I believe if you choose the correct modules, then it has the possibility to be a qualifying law degree, but you have to choose carefully in order for the SRA to recognise it. If not, then you will need to consider taking the GDL.

With regards to Extra, in my opinion, Birmingham and Manchester do have a better overall reputation, which might work to your benefit. However, if you do consider this, you will need to decline all your offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zero_gravity)
    Congratulations with your offer!

Out of your choices, I would probably go with Leicester, since it has a pretty reputable law course. Lancaster isn't bad either, but I wouldn't exactly say it's as good as Leicester.

As for your course at Kent, I believe if you choose the correct modules, then it has the possibility to be a qualifying law degree, but you have to choose carefully in order for the SRA to recognise it. If not, then you will need to consider taking the GDL.

With regards to Extra, in my opinion, Birmingham and Manchester do have a better overall reputation, which might work to your benefit. However, if you do consider this, you will need to decline all your offers.
    Yep, I know I have to reject all offers. Would you say that Manchester or Birmingham have that much of a difference in reputation for me to consider rejecting all offers?
    It's a qualifying law degree. I've asked the Kent law school about it. I do not have to pick my modules carefully for this particular course, which is an added benefit; it is meant to serve as a qualifying law degree. Though other double degrees are according to what you say.
    So you would say that Leicester law is better than Kent law (just their law faculties, not comparing the other degree)?
    And would you say that if Leicester is better for law, then would a single LLB degree from Leicester be better for general graduate prospects than a double degree from Kent? I understand that it might be difficult to answer and depends on the individual, so just your opinion if you can.
    Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkisthefloyd)
    Yep, I know I have to reject all offers. Would you say that Manchester or Birmingham have that much of a difference in reputation for me to consider rejecting all offers?
    It's a qualifying law degree. I've asked the Kent law school about it. I do not have to pick my modules carefully for this particular course, which is an added benefit; it is meant to serve as a qualifying law degree. Though other double degrees are according to what you say.
    So you would say that Leicester law is better than Kent law (just their law faculties, not comparing the other degree)?
    And would you say that if Leicester is better for law, then would a single LLB degree from Leicester be better for general graduate prospects than a double degree from Kent? I understand that it might be difficult to answer and depends on the individual, so just your opinion if you can.
    Thank you very much!
    In my opinion, I would place Birmingham or Manchester in a position than the aforementioned universities that you applied to. However, you have to know that they don't guarantee you a spot, so I think it's a risky move to do so.

Ok, in that case, I would probably stick with the double degree, since it would benefit you more.

I think the difference between Leicester and Kent for the law course is pretty minimal, but I would place Leicester higher than Kent.

As for your last question, I think doing a single LLB degree would definitely help you more, extending the depth and your understanding of the law. Note that doing the double degree would decrease the number of law modules that you could take, but at the same time, I believe employers might find it attractive to have a double degree, potentially giving you an edge over those that take single LLB degrees.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.