Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can someone please upload a diagram of a synchrotron? i haven't got one and i'm worried in case it comes up.

thanx

scarlet

ReputationRep:
    bump

help? anyone?

ReputationRep:
    http://images.google.com/images?q=Synchrotron

Google is your friend

ReputationRep:
    i get this if i type synchotron on google

not very well labelled though

ReputationRep:
    Funny, but, you just know everyone who does Physics at Uni is going to turn in to that.

Including me.

:'(

ReputationRep:

but anyway, i think if theres any question on a synchotron they'll give you a diagram

ReputationRep:
    LOL i'm scared!

youre right they probably will give a diagram. its just that in my notes, i only have a descripton, and its a bit confusing. i did have a look on google, but was kind of hoping for a more 'a level notes' sort of diagram.
    thanx anyway!

ReputationRep:
    dont have a diagram easier, just checking i understand the difference:

-a linac accelerates particles down a straight tube at a fixed target using alternating electric fields.

-a synchotron accelerates particles in a circle (like km's across) by using magnets. the alternating electric fields are synchronised with the speed of the particles so that energies can be increased further. i.e. the frequency of the alternating field increases as the particle gets faster.

-a cyclotron.. has two 'dees' which do something that im not clear on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoidberg)
    dont have a diagram easier, just checking i understand the difference:

-a linac accelerates particles down a straight tube at a fixed target using alternating electric fields.

-a synchotron accelerates particles in a circle (like km's across) by using magnets. the alternating electric fields are synchronised with the speed of the particles so that energies can be increased further. i.e. the frequency of the alternating field increases as the particle gets faster.

-a cyclotron.. has two 'dees' which do something that im not clear on
    The magnetic field is only applied inside the two Ds, I think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    yep something like the charged particles are placed in the space between the d's and the magnetic fields exert a force on them hence causing the particles to accerlate

(Original post by Mysticmin)
    In the diagram in my notes, it looks as though the magnetic field acts vertically through the entire thing (Ds and gap between them). The Ds are "sandwiched between two electromagnets", it says

Rosie

(Original post by DazYaYYY)
    yep something like the charged particles are placed in the space between the d's and the magnetic fields exert a force on them hence causing the particles to accerlate
    I think what causes the particles to accelerate is actually the p.d. between the two D-shaped electrodes.

I'm not completely sure what the magnetic field *does*. I think it might be to get the electrons to have a curved path? Not sure.

(Original post by zoidberg)

No, I think the synchrotron only actually accelerates particles in a short section of the "circle" called the accelerating cavity, which is just like a linac. The magnets just serve to guide the particles in a circular path, so that they pass through the accelerating cavity many times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    I'm not completely sure what the magnetic field *does*. I think it might be to get the electrons to have a curved path? Not sure.
    I was gonna answer this for ya... but you seem to have already done it yourself
    same idea as synchrotron... magnetic field is always used for changing the movement of fast moving charged partices in accelerators
    (Original post by crana)
    The magnets just serve to guide the particles in a circular path, so that they pass through the accelerating cavity many times.

ReputationRep:
    it seems that it is not found in the specification, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keisiuho)
    it seems that it is not found in the specification, is it?
    no, if there is to be a diagram, it'll be on the cyclotron

the synchotron is pretty much the same as the cyclotron, jsut the synchotron accelerates charged particles much faster

ReputationRep:
    cyclotron came up in january, i doubt its going to come up again,

it will be synchrotron i think, and i too dont know a good diagram

the only difference is that they constantly increasing the magnetic flux density, and the frequency of the change of polarity, am i right?

only time will tell

good luck

ReputationRep:
    No offence to ppl doing physics

but the cyclotron is the one with TWO D's

the SYNCHROTRON is the huge one in geneva where a partical stays in the same radius all around.. its called a synchrotron cos the frequecy of the electrodes accelerating the particle has to increase as its t speed increases (due to the time it takes for particle to travel length of electrode is half the frequency)
    therefore the whole system must be in SYNCH. Also as Bev=m V^2 / R
    The B must also increase as V increases.. ie the magnectic strength must also increase. in order to stay same Radius.

The cyclotron is completely different and is used not for the purpose of accelerating it to fire at something.. the real reson i cant rememeber ..lol

I think it is to find ratio between e/m

read ur textbooks..its all there

ReputationRep:
    for a diagram, just draw a cicular tube, fixed radius.
    indicate theres a magnetic field round the whole thing,
    indicate accelerating cavities, and i spose u should add focusing tubes too.
    then just indicate where the particles enters and leaves

ReputationRep:
    We wont be asked to draw any setup of accelerators or detectors, will we?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.