Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi all,

I don't know if I'm looking for advice, a sympathetic ear or.... I don't know

I've been with my girlfriend for around 9 years and we split recently. I moved to the North to be with her a few years back (we're both 28 by the way) and all my "friends" are really her friends it's just I adopted them friends as we've been together for so long. I didn't have many friends in my area because I moved around so much as a kid and didn't have time to form them really. I also didn't go to University at the age of 19 (I studied at OU later on)

I have absolutely no family. No mother, father, siblings nothing. To say I'm lonely is a bit of an understatement. I've recently moved out of her house and gone into a houseshare. I'm however thinking of just moving away, maybe a working holiday visa (maybe ill get sponsored) in Australia, NZ? I've read recently someone else is doing that on here.

I'm scared I'll be just as lonely there or is that a chance for me to make a new life for myself and for me to essentially start again?

Thanks for listening and sorry for sounding so dull and drab. I just have no one to talk to.

I have nothing else to say but ":hugs:"

ReputationRep:
    If that's what you want to do, go for it! It does sound like a good step of that's where you feel would best suit you logically and you can definitely make friends and form new relationships anywhere, so don't worry about being lonely, it won't happen overnight but I'd focus on yourself for a wee bit, allow yourself to heal from the break up and then get back out, letting people at work and at clubs/hobbies you enjoy, good luck!

PM me if you need to talk

ReputationRep:
    man this thread makes me feel so sad, but do you know what i say? :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: it, go backpacking or travelling, take a year out, move to the other side of the world and create a new chapter in your life! you dont need much money to go travelling, theres lots of videos on youtubes of backpacking advice and whatnot. what do you work as?

ReputationRep:
    A new life is one I would pursue in a situation like this, your current life is bringing you down, I would say there's no point waiting for something to improve - so why not go for a change?

Thanks for your replies, it means a lot.

I work as a trainee accountant but I've just finished a degree in Biochemistry.

I've decided to just go for it. 2-3 months of saving and I'll be gone! Thanks for the support guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've decided to just go for it. 2-3 months of saving and I'll be gone! Thanks for the support guys
    I want to travel too when I've got the opportunity.

Have fun, mate! Let us know how it goes when you head out. :hi:

I've booked the flight.. I thought if I book it then I will have it to look forward too (it's in July)

Feels weird I won't even have anyone to send me off at the airport but that's the point of a fresh start huh?

ReputationRep:
    I've booked the flight.. I thought if I book it then I will have it to look forward too (it's in July)

Feels weird I won't even have anyone to send me off at the airport but that's the point of a fresh start huh?
    Good luck!!

ReputationRep:

You'll be free.
    I hope you'll find yourself out there.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.