Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying AS English Literature, History, and Psychology, whilst considering my university options, and am concerned with my chances of getting into a good uni.

I achieved 1 A (History) 4 B's (English Lit, English Lang, RS and Business Studies) and 4 Cs (Core + Additional Science, Maths, Drama), I believe I could have achieved better, had I seen school with more importance when beginning studying for GCSEs, considering at the time of year 9/10 I was going through issues with depression due to bullying and home issues which I believe had an impact on my perspective of school at the time. I hadn't taken GCSEs seriously until year 11 when exams were looming, so I think considering my circumstances I did okay ...

Now doing my AS levels, I am achieving B's in all my subjects and take my education a lot more seriously and have a lot more ambition and determination than I did 4/5 years ago. I am aiming to achieve AAB-ABB in my A Levels and would love to study a degree in History/Politics/Law, at one of the following unis: Southampton, Queen Mary's, Birmingham, Exeter, Kent, Reading, Royal Holloway, Loughborough, Portsmouth.

I actively contribute to the History subject area at my college as AS Modern History Subject Representative for my year and attending History and Politics societies weekly and have a lot of enthusiasm towards topics regarding History/Politics/Law.

Do my ambitions to study at the universities I've listed sound realistic based on my background?

What can help me to gain a place at a good university to study History?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by issyandpizza)
    I'm currently studying AS English Literature, History, and Psychology, whilst considering my university options, and am concerned with my chances of getting into a good uni.

I achieved 1 A (History) 4 B's (English Lit, English Lang, RS and Business Studies) and 4 Cs (Core + Additional Science, Maths, Drama), I believe I could have achieved better, had I seen school with more importance when beginning studying for GCSEs, considering at the time of year 9/10 I was going through issues with depression due to bullying and home issues which I believe had an impact on my perspective of school at the time. I hadn't taken GCSEs seriously until year 11 when exams were looming, so I think considering my circumstances I did okay ...

Now doing my AS levels, I am achieving B's in all my subjects and take my education a lot more seriously and have a lot more ambition and determination than I did 4/5 years ago. I am aiming to achieve AAB-ABB in my A Levels and would love to study a degree in History/Politics/Law, at one of the following unis: Southampton, Queen Mary's, Birmingham, Exeter, Kent, Reading, Royal Holloway, Loughborough, Portsmouth.

I actively contribute to the History subject area at my college as AS Modern History Subject Representative for my year and attending History and Politics societies weekly and have a lot of enthusiasm towards topics regarding History/Politics/Law.

Do my ambitions to study at the universities I've listed sound realistic based on my background?

What can help me to gain a place at a good university to study History?
    Hi there

To be honest, with the exception of a few courses and universities like Oxford, most are not too bothered about your GCSE grades as long as you meet the requirements for English and Maths and any other stated grades! Your grades should be absolutely fine so don't worry. I know people with worse results who have had offers from some of those universities. The rest of your application sounds promising, i.e. you're on track for good AS results, so I don't think you will be hindered at all.

For history, a good personal statement that shows a keen interest in the subject should be sufficient. So talking about interesting texts you have read, what periods interest you and so on

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.