Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished sixth form last year and am currently doing a one year a level fast track. This year was my second opportunity to create a UCAS application form and I dodged it yet again, because I still have little idea about what I want to go into and I dont want to make a mistake. But everyone I know was urging me to do it as if it was the most important thing in the world, as if it was more important than my grades or even what I want to do in life! I feel these people are lucky that they have stuck with their choices but I am glad I'm waiting because I know I'm not ready. I want perfect grades and do a respected course at a good uni, not go for the sake of going as soon as some s*itty uni has a place for me and my laughable grades like most people I know ..
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by spaceblues)
    I have just finished sixth form last year and am currently doing a one year a level fast track. This year was my second opportunity to create a UCAS application form and I dodged it yet again, because I still have little idea about what I want to go into and I dont want to make a mistake. But everyone I know was urging me to do it as if it was the most important thing in the world, as if it was more important than my grades or even what I want to do in life! I feel these people are lucky that they have stuck with their choices but I am glad I'm waiting because I know I'm not ready. I want perfect grades and do a respected course at a good uni, not go for the sake of going as soon as some s*itty uni has a place for me and my laughable grades like most people I know ..
    People are 'desperate' (not entirely certain that's the best word) to get to university for a variety of reasons. Some people have had a one track mind and passion since they could decide what they wanted to do in education and have pursued that all their lives and when they get to that point, they just want to get to university and study because it's a huge step and completely unlike any other education - which is why other people want to go because it's more focused and in depth to what they want to do with people who actually want to be there. Some people want to get away to university for the experience, the social life, the freedom and so on and so fourth. However, you're doing right by you and that's all that matters. You aren't ready yet and that's fine. You're taking your time to make an informed decision and that's respectable. It just seems like everybody else around you is 100% certain it's what they want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Probably because the know they wanted to go to university for various reasons to begin with so it's just a matter of getting in. I haven't heard of anyone being 'desperate' to go to university, keen yes, but not desperate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spaceblues)
    For many people, university is a pretty attractive idea, when the alternative is an 8-6 entry level job 5 or 6 days a week for minimum wage, struggling to pay rent and Council Tax. That's if they're lucky enough to get a job.

If your parents are willing to support you while you firm up your ideas about uni, that's great. Or take a gap year to get your head round it. It's always better to get on the right degree course first time. However if you don't mind an extra year of student debt, you will have enough Student Finance to swap to a new course after your first year if it really does work out badly on the first attempt.

ReputationRep:
    Because a lot of people have a fairly good idea of what field they want to go in at that age, maybe not an exact job but enough to choose a degree subject.

A lot of people also want the fresh start that University offers, and that's sometimes worth more than getting the ideal career path.

ReputationRep:
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ReputationRep:
    Because 'everyone else is and I wanna'.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    because growing up is scary and university offers a nice halfway house between school and "the real world"

ReputationRep:
    I guess you get a bit more of a safety net once you go out of uni to find a job. It's really hard to get one, but at least you're better off with a degree than without one... And most unis have placements

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.