Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    So just started selling some bits and bobs on ebay. Stuff I don't wear any more, random stuff kicking about my room.

Anyone got any stories/tips to help with selling on ebay?

Or even just some funny stories about it

My step dad has really got into ebay, he's been selling some bizarre stuff like breast pumps. That was a strange thing to walk into when I was home visiting
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    So just started selling some bits and bobs on ebay. Stuff I don't wear any more, random stuff kicking about my room.

Anyone got any stories/tips to help with selling on ebay?

Or even just some funny stories about it

My step dad has really got into ebay, he's been selling some bizarre stuff like breast pumps. That was a strange thing to walk into when I was home visiting
    I tend to sell any clothes I don't want anymore on there, but in bundles for the most part as then you pay less paypal/ebay fees and postage ends up being cheaper.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    90% of bids are in the last 5 minutes. Dont panic.
    Take a photo of the item before you ship it to show its in good order.
    Dont do deals outside ebays.
    If you need advice they have knowledgeable forums of traders.

I dont sell but I bet there are some nice apps for sellers.

ReputationRep:
    Beware scammers.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe there is a scam where they will purposely send you defective or broken items and wait for you to request a refund. The items are defective before shipping and they may claim it was damaged en route, and claim it to be insured. Basically what they do is send you a payment as "refund" and collect insurance money, then reverse the payment sent to you by claiming it was an unauthorised charge. The scammer basically doubles his money by doing this.

If ever someone tries to pull this use Paypal's refund system when getting said refund. They can't claim it as an unauthorised charge.

ReputationRep:
    Never put "Best offer", it just attracts opportunistic tossers who'll offer wildly lower than the item cand and will probably sell for.

Don't pay for any of the big picture postings or extra gallery features, waste of time a d doesn't attract any buyers at all.

Try use Royal Mail or Collect Plus to send :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:, myHermes is cheap but they :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: up your item, happened to me when I was selling my phone smh.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    90% of bids are in the last 5 minutes. Dont panic.
    Take a photo of the item before you ship it to show its in good order.
    Dont do deals outside ebays.
    If you need advice they have knowledgeable forums of traders.

I dont sell but I bet there are some nice apps for sellers.
    How'd you work that one out?:confused:
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Becayse people watch and snipe auctions, It might not be 90% but its most of them. the only one that matters is the final bid. A lot of people use software to put in bids at the end.

Becayse people watch and snipe auctions, It might not be 90% but its most of them. the only one that matters is the final bid. A lot of people use software to put in bids at the end.
    Honestly I think a lot of it is just luck!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    Only a small part. I snipe my auctions as well as do a lot of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Never put "Best offer", it just attracts opportunistic tossers who'll offer wildly lower than the item cand and will probably sell for.
    The solution for that is to customise it further, to reject any offers below a specified threshold automatically. The best offer functionality can have its uses in certain cases and I personally tend to use it.

How'd you work that one out?:confused:
    Only a small part. I snipe my auctions as well as do a lot of people.
    Agreed - this is typical on items that are the least bit 'mainstream' and when I'm buying on eBay, I expect that anything that I bid on will pretty much always see some sort of siniping activity.

Ultimately, the highest bid wins regardless of sniping behaviour so arguably bid timing does' matter - but that ignores the fact that many people are naturally competitive and seeing themselves being outbid can well spur them to bid higher than they otherwise would have done; the nature of auction sniping is that it's done in a way that doesn't allow much chance for any such bidding wars.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    The solution for that is to customise it further, to reject any offers below a specified threshold automatically. The best offer functionality can have its uses in certain cases and I personally tend to use it.

Agreed - this is typical on items that are the least bit 'mainstream' and when I'm buying on eBay, I expect that anything that I bid on will pretty much always see some sort of siniping activity.

Ultimately, the highest bid wins regardless of sniping behaviour so arguably bid timing does' matter - but that ignores the fact that many people are naturally competitive and seeing themselves being outbid can well spur them to bid higher than they otherwise would have done; the nature of auction sniping is that it's done in a way that doesn't allow much chance for any such bidding wars.
    Absolutely. Hilarious to watch people bid more than the item costs inew just becayse they have to win, when in my mind they have lost. Know your items price and then walk away imo.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Got a couple of people watching my stuff so that's good. I just need to stop checking it and leave it to it.

ReputationRep:
    The top 2 things I've found that always work are:
    1. Lots of pictures. I know it seems weird, specially if it's clothing, but people like to see different angles, close ups etc.

2. Spend time on the title and description. Many people will search by keyword and not via the navigation. They won't always use the same words as you, so it's important to your bases. If I was selling a red jumper I would make sure I used the "jumper" and "sweatshirt" when referring to it. Also include size, material, literally anything that you can think of to help increase your chances of ranking

Happy selling

ReputationRep:
    When my Grandad passed away he left me a very old collection of encyclopaedia books. They were really old and falling apart, I had no use for them but I didn't want to throw them in the bin either. I was going to give them to a charity shop when someone suggested I tried selling them on eBay, I thought why not! I put them on auction with a starting bid at £1.00 (I just wanted to get rid of them). They ended up going for nearly £4000! Turns out they were 1st editions and classed as antiques and that there were very few left in the world. I couldn't believe it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.