Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OK, so I'm 16 and about to take my GCSEs (which right now I should be studying for and not on TSR but oh well...) and obviously I need to pick A level options (which I did a few weeks ago) but now I'm having second thoughts...So I picked History, RS, Chemistry and Classical Greek (which I'd probably only do an AS in anyway) with a view to studying Theology at Uni. But now I've had a total U turn and am thinking about Medicine because Theology wouldn't really lead anywhere and I really don't want to end up with a useless degree and working in HR or something dull for the rest of my life.Then I thought about Psychology which I kinda like the look of, but seems kind of boring ...Law seems hard to get into and with few job opportunities at the end of it...Then I thought about Psychiatry, which I've fallen a little bit in love with and really want to do. BUT I just found out I need a medical degree to do!!!I'm pretty intelligent- I'm looking to get 9/10 A*s in my GCSEs, but Medical School seems really hard to get into and there are these scary UKCAT /BMAT tests which look hard :/ Should I go for it? If I do, I'll need to switch my A levels to include Biology.Or have I left it too late- don't you need years of work experience?Also, quick Q, does anyone know if there are any UKCAT/BMAT tests for Veterinary School as well cos I might look into that too...Help!

BTW I'm not sure if I posted this in the right place-sorry if I didn't! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazzers123)
    OK, so I'm 16 and about to take my GCSEs (which right now I should be studying for and not on TSR but oh well...) and obviously I need to pick A level options (which I did a few weeks ago) but now I'm having second thoughts...So I picked History, RS, Chemistry and Classical Greek (which I'd probably only do an AS in anyway) with a view to studying Theology at Uni. But now I've had a total U turn and am thinking about Medicine because Theology wouldn't really lead anywhere and I really don't want to end up with a useless degree and working in HR or something dull for the rest of my life.Then I thought about Psychology which I kinda like the look of, but seems kind of boring ...Law seems hard to get into and with few job opportunities at the end of it...Then I thought about Psychiatry, which I've fallen a little bit in love with and really want to do. BUT I just found out I need a medical degree to do!!!I'm pretty intelligent- I'm looking to get 9/10 A*s in my GCSEs, but Medical School seems really hard to get into and there are these scary UKCAT /BMAT tests which look hard :/ Should I go for it? If I do, I'll need to switch my A levels to include Biology.Or have I left it too late- don't you need years of work experience?Also, quick Q, does anyone know if there are any UKCAT/BMAT tests for Veterinary School as well cos I might look into that too...Help!

hey,
    Even I'm planning to take medicine. I have recently started my work experience at a hospice and I would say it is a good place to start for work experience if you are still planning to pursue medicine. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tessa w)
    hey,
    Even I'm planning to take medicine. I have recently started my work experience at a hospice and I would say it is a good place to start for work experience if you are still planning to pursue medicine. Hope this helps.
    Thank you it did ! good luck with your application x
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Of course it isn't too late, you're 16! You will, realistically, need chemistry and biology.

There is plenty of time to get work experience etc over the next couple of years. For now, focus on getting good grades in your GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Of course it isn't too late, you're 16! You will, realistically, need chemistry and biology.

There is plenty of time to get work experience etc over the next couple of years. For now, focus on getting good grades in your GCSEs
    thank you so much!! x

ReputationRep:
    Too late? You haven't even done your GCSEs yet, I was expecting this to be a year 12/13 student having a crisis.

You've got plenty of time

ReputationRep:
    Make sure that over the years you figure out WHY you want to study medicine. Gonna be that all important point in your PS and interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tessa w)
    hey,
    Glad it helped and btw even I am giving my GCSEs this year and best of luck with that. x

ReputationRep:
    Lots of useful TSR advice about Applying for Medicine : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

ReputationRep:

Of course it's not too late! First thing first though, you need to know why you want to do medicine! not only important for your application but also important to think this through!

I believe not all medical schools require Biology. But many require at least 2 sciences or 1 science + 1 math.

UKCAT and BMAT sound scary but they are really not that difficult. From experience, you would only need to spend 1-2 hours every week practicing these (if you are consistent).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.