Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

A group of us have decided to attempt the Yorkshire Three Peaks in about six weeks time. For those who don't know what it is, in short it's a 24 mile walk including three of Yorkshire's peaks. You have 12 hours to do it.

Has anyone here done it? What level of fitness should you be at before thinking about doing it? On the cardio side of things I'm rather rubbish, but I'm thinking in a group, and with six week's training, I might stand a slim chance.

Anyone got any tips or advice? I've also heard it's possible to quit halfway through and end up back where you started, after one peak, but I'm sceptical of this
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Sheepmaster317)
    Hey all,

A group of us have decided to attempt the Yorkshire Three Peaks in about six weeks time. For those who don't know what it is, in short it's a 24 mile walk including three of Yorkshire's peaks. You have 12 hours to do it.

Has anyone here done it? What level of fitness should you be at before thinking about doing it? On the cardio side of things I'm rather rubbish, but I'm thinking in a group, and with six week's training, I might stand a slim chance.

Anyone got any tips or advice? I've also heard it's possible to quit halfway through and end up back where you started, after one peak, but I'm sceptical of this
    I've not done it myself - but I will be going over two of the three in my gold dofe exped (mid August)

I have seen the route that you tend to do on the Three peaks and it's basically a circle and there are routes from each of the peaks back to the start; however, once you've gone over the second peak you'll have to go over the first again to get back if you call it quits. The route takes the easiest paths up the peaks, and you're only carrying maybe 5kg(give or take) so as long as you're moderately fit you should be OK. I'm slow and really unfit but I've done 15 miles in about 6 hours (including an hour for lunch), so if you factor in the hills it's not as challenging as it sounds (not saying it's easy). You should be able to cope.

One piece of advice: these are a godsend - you'll only to fill it to 1, maybe 1.5 litres (remember each litre is a kilo).

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Heyo. I think you will be perfectly fine. It may be tough but as long as you keep a steady pace and you're mentally strong throughout, you'll do great. Fortunately, in 6 weeks time you should easily get 12 hours of daylight - darkness will be the main thing that will slow you down as navigating becomes trickier and its difficult to keep the same pace when you can't see in front of you. I'm not sure if that was intentional but it was planned well, if that was your intent!

As the end of the day, it's 90% in the mind. Eat plenty of carbs before, during and after to keep yourself refueled. You have no idea how good a mars bar tastes after a long upward ascent.

As for training, make sure you just walk up hills because you'll be using certain muscles a lot harder than if you were walking/running along the flat.

Biggest thing is route navigation and route planning. If you lose your way, you're buggered.

SS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    X
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    X
    Cheers for your help guys

As I've said above, there are reasons for me not wanting to do it (I have exams three weeks after it, I'm incredibly unfit, I'd need to buy clothing and equipment, and I broke my ankle three years ago and it still *occasionally* plays up), but I also suspect if I don't do it I'd feel left out and regret it.

Despite my level of fitness I reckon deep down I could push myself and do it. I'm more tempted to do it reading this and with each day that passes, but common sense says I shouldn't.

I'll continue to train and decide nearer the time in a few weeks, then get all the equipment needed then.

Of course, I'll remember to stay very well hydrated and won't stop eating, can't see that being a problem
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Cheers for your help guys

As I've said above, there are reasons for me not wanting to do it (I have exams three weeks after it, I'm incredibly unfit, I'd need to buy clothing and equipment, and I broke my ankle three years ago and it still *occasionally* plays up), but I also suspect if I don't do it I'd feel left out and regret it.

Despite my level of fitness I reckon deep down I could push myself and do it. I'm more tempted to do it reading this and with each day that passes, but common sense says I shouldn't.

I'll continue to train and decide nearer the time in a few weeks, then get all the equipment needed then.

Of course, I'll remember to stay very well hydrated and won't stop eating, can't see that being a problem
    Yeah I've got a similar problem with my ankle

Just bear in mind the weight of the food - if you have any more questions I'm always here somewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.