Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so i want to Microbiology at university. I love biology. It's time to decide A- level options and i had put down History, English, biology and maths. This is because i HATE with a passion chemistry. For microbiology you must have biology and either maths or chemistry, so i will have maths, but i will have to put a lot of time and dedication into it as it takes me a while to understand new things, my question is, is it worth enduring Chemistry for A/S (and yes my school does them) because it will help me get into the university i want? Also if i find maths to hard i could do chemistry instead, if i did Chemsitry i would take it instead of English. Now, my mock achieved grades for GCSE were (i also put my expected real grades):
    Biology: A, predicted A*
    Maths: A*, predicted A*
    History: A*, predicted A*
    English: A*, predicted A*
    Chemistry: A, perhaps A*

I hope you can help

ReputationRep:
    I also want to study microbiology and I'm in year 12. I'm currently studying biology, chemistry, physics, maths and french. Personally, I would say that you should do what you enjoy and if you don't like chemistry then there isn't much point in doing it. Which university are you hoping I get into? I've been looking at Leeds. I think you've got a good variety of subjects but I don't think chemistry is essential. This probably hasn't helped much but good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiseRiot)
    I also want to study microbiology and I'm in year 12. I'm currently studying biology, chemistry, physics, maths and french. Personally, I would say that you should do what you enjoy and if you don't like chemistry then there isn't much point in doing it. Which university are you hoping I get into? I've been looking at Leeds. I think you've got a good variety of subjects but I don't think chemistry is essential. This probably hasn't helped much but good luck!
    I want to go to York potentially? I definitely don't want to do physics, and i'm just worried about achieving the grades if i take both maths and chemistry...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProbablyJade)
    I want to go to York potentially? I definitely don't want to do physics, and i'm just worried about achieving the grades if i take both maths and chemistry...
    I've found that the work load isn't that bad but chemistry, in my opinion, is slightly easier than maths once you get the hang of it. You could start off by doing maths and chemistry and see how you find it and then swap if it is a bit too much. But since most universities require biology and either maths or chemistry so maybe go with what you enjoy most? I don't know, hopefully someone else can give you some better advice than me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiseRiot)
    I've found that the work load isn't that bad but chemistry, in my opinion, is slightly easier than maths once you get the hang of it. You could start off by doing maths and chemistry and see how you find it and then swap if it is a bit too much. But since most universities require biology and either maths or chemistry so maybe go with what you enjoy most? I don't know, hopefully someone else can give you some better advice than me
    Yes that was my thinking, i just don't want to find them impossible! i think i might just do that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProbablyJade)
    Yes that was my thinking, i just don't want to find them impossible! i think i might just do that
    As long as you do all the necessary revision, you'll be fine

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 5, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.